Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Can you identify this gretsch set ??

Hi everyone,

I need help to identify this gretsch drumset. This was my father's kit, but it has been kept in garage for long time. Actually it looks like almost new. I am going to sell this kit to my friend, but I don't know anything about drums so I want to know what kind of kit this is, and if possible how much does this kind of thing cost.

All I know is size of this kit is 18,14,12. I can add a picture if its needed.

It will be great if anyone can give me any information.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Gretsch Stop Sign Jazz Sizes, here is a starter for guesstimates, but that kit is a walnut and with an additional tom. Jazz sizes will make it more desirable. Just make sure you get your money's worth. More people will add their 2 cents.

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Just a wild guess but a few google searches would seem to indicate those sizes match up with the very famous Gretsch "Progressive Jazz Set" which is built on the design of the even more famous Gretsch Cadillac Green "Birdland" kit.

A couple sites indicate those sizes were very rare with that badge.

Prices on those kits seem to be somewhere between $2000 and $4000 dollars.

I'm not a drum expert... just a Google searcher... but I think you got something pretty nice there... everybody wants "That Great Gretsch Sound" so don't give these away for a case of beer and hate yourself and your buddy later.

Sweet little kit...

Well I dug around for awhile and just can't match that tom mount hardware with any picture I can find on the Internet.. Bop Set, Jazz Set.. great sizes you got.

I'm sure there is a Gretsch expert who will jump on here and nail it down for you. Don't set a price till somebody knowledgable jumps on here and gives you a solid answer.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Nice drums, Probably late 1970s, with one of a succession of truly awful Gretsch attempts to make a decent tom holder - this one has a distinctlly "Fibes" feel with the nylon socket on the small drum. In this era all Gretsch drums shipped to the UK came un-drilled with no spurs or tom holders as the Gretsch hardware was seen as rubbish. We fitted Premier, Rogers or Slingerland parts.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here