Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Can you identify this drum?

Hi, i've got what i think is a vintage ludwig snare drum that is 14"x6" and is made out of 5 ply maple. It is blue sparkle and it has 10 lugs. I've had a look at some on your site but none of the lugs match the ones on mine. Can you please tell me what it is, what year it was made and how much it is worth?

Posted on 18 years ago

It's not a Ludwig. It's an Asian import (probably Japanese) copy of what looks like a Gretsch snare drum. One of the biggest telltale signs is the wood grain that runs vertically. And the wood is not maple. It may have some maple plies in it, but I doubt it. The main wood is lauan. Lauan is a low-density wood that's commonly used in asian drums and often referred to as "mahogany" -which it isn't.

Very little value to collectors, but if you like the drum then that's all that matters.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

O-Lugs is definatly on the mark with this being a 60's stencil snare.Name wise...pick one from the list,lol.And there is a good list of 50+ names that were on stencil kits.In terms of value...that snare could sell for maybe $20. I love collecting stencil drums as they have value and meaning for me as my first kit was a U.S.Mercury and I still own it today.But they still havn't hit a high enough market yet.And year wise I would guess mid to late 60's judging ny the strainer.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

very cool this is my first search for my first drum this lady gave to me from up in her attic when i was 7. the first forum i hit was this one. mine dose say delta, but it's a dead ringer !! here are some pics Cool

well i can't put in pics yet but i'll post a new thread .

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here