Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Can you help me identify my Snare?

Hello. I have a Slingerland snare drum I'd like to learn more about and have it insured adequately. I'll attach the picture of it.

It's exterior pattern is similar to a Marine Pearl, but it's more yellow than the real white ones i've seen online.

The badge is Black and Brass Niles oval - serial number 69541, which I believe puts it in the mid 60's.

It has 6 lugs.

And what great crisp sound.

Thanks for this great website, I already learned a lot about it.

purrrr.

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Well here I go again.. I'll take a shot...

6 lugger with a rapid strainer and that serial number 69xxx should mean an earlier 60's Deluxe Student Model. 3 ply shell, with maple reinforcing rings.. probably a mahogany inner ply (dark, reddish wood).

A great book to pick up is Rob Cook's, The Slingerland Book.

Pull the head and the date should be stamped on the inside... I have a drum very much like that one... it is a great snare!!

Take a nice full pic of your drum and put it out there in the snare drum gallery. It looks to be in wonderful condition... I don't think those snare wires are original though.

Slingerland White Marine Pearl Deluxe Student Snare.. that is a popular classic vintage drum.Jumping2

Here is very nice drum much like yours that just sold for $199.00.. I think that is probably the top end of the market or very close for that drum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingerland-60s-White-Pearl-Snare-Drum-MINT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ120330124127QQihZ002QQcategoryZ38095QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi, i've looked inside the drum - it's a light stained wood and it's stamped with a P and JUN 6. The last digit of the 196X didn't make it when stamped.

Anymore ideas to help me identify this? I've attached 2 more pictures.

Thank you for the help.

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Jim is pretty right on with his description, the shell has a maple interior not mahogany. The value is accurate also, that seems to be what those snares are going for these days. Insure it for more, should the need arise, to handle shipping etc. if you need to replace it.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks guys!!

Posted on 15 years ago

Kit.. that maple interior puts you mid 60's.. early were mahogany.. later were painted a "tannish beige color". (Thank you Mr. Cook.. P. 176)

Your drum looks very, very clean... get out your tools and carefully pull off the lugs and giv'em a shine with some metal polish. Rub down the rims, track down the right wires, put her back together and it will be purrrrfect.;)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here