Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Can you give me some info on this set?

First post here... A guy gave me this set about 7 years ago and I just thought they were junk. I did not know they were from the 60's so they have been practically outside ever since in a leaky storage shed. Anyways, I got a little interested in finding something out about them, and found out they are from the 60's but that is all I can find. Can someone tell me something about them? Value? Are they decent? loser year? Are they worth my time to restore? etc.

Also, give me suggestions on what kind of heads to put on them. I don't want a vintage sound, but more of a quality modern sound. Granted, I do not want to sink tons of money in them, cuz I will only practice on them at home.

Here is the snare after I cleaned it up and restored the finish on everything... still working on the hoops.

3 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Wow. Thanks for the info. Quick question though. Would it dramatically improve the sound of these if I added a layer of maple or other hardwood to the inside? (assuming of course that it is done in a professional manner and that I could do it for inexpensive enough to be worth the effort.)

Posted on 16 years ago

Quick answer: No

It might change the characteristics of the tone a bit, but that's a pretty major undertaking.

My best advice to you would be to clean up the rest of the kit and sell it to a collector of vintage Japanese drums and then use the money towards getting an inexpensive modern maple import kit.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I agree with O-lugs and there is more info on this site under the Pearl section. Which these are.

We have a few Pearl collectors on the forum that love the early stuff.

Here is the Japanese Drum section on this web site which has lots of badges and other information.

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here