Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

can we discuss conga drums a little please?

Greetings,

I am a novice conga player and african drummer (dounoun, djembe, sabar) living in tallahassee. I came across your site and wanted to ask you for some advice.

I own two gonbop drums that I think are from the 70s. A quinto and a conga. I would like to know more about them.

I would also like to ask you about vintage conga drums, whats what, what is good, and what can be obtained relatively easily... How do I go about researching this.

I also want to know about more recent drums form the 90s and 2000s

the reason is be cause I am approaching a professional level and need right now at least one more conga and a tumba so I can practice with more than 2 drums....

the music being practiced is folkloric cuban, haitian, brazillian, and puerto rican stuff as well as popular music of these countires and african countires and calypso (trinidad, other west indian nations) and jazz/soul/funk

I dont have much more than 500 to spend on one drum or perhapse 300 per drum if I was going to buy two.

Maybe one day I will get a set of some signature drum that costs upwards of 800 per drum, but I just want quality drums that I can work on and perform/record on for now.

And I dont really know much about this stuff.

My teacher thinks that a matador or bauer would be the way to go, he doesnt think i can afford for example a patato, giovanni or armando paraza signature drum, and we are not sure what makes those drums so grerat.

if u can tell me about drums that would be wonderful and if u know how i can find more info on my two gon bops that would also be great.

thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

Sorry... I got nothing on Congas but I did find this blog http://congadr.blogspot.com/

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

The Conga Dr is a member on the forum and is knowledgeable about congas.

Vintage Gon Bops are some of the best congas on the market. I was talking to the gentleman from Volcano Congas this past weekend. He speeks very highly of vintage Gon Bops so I think you should be looking for used Gon Bops in the sizes you like and you can't go wrong.

Volcano Percussion

These are one of the most expensive congas on the market I believe. They are absolutely amazing. The craftmanship is just great, the way they split the wood and craft them. The sound is just like the early Gon Bops which many guys are trying to go after.

Signature names are just ways to sell drums for more money and does not make them any better then similar drums without the name.

So go for the classic Gon Bop sound and you will have what you need!

David

Posted on 15 years ago

While we are on this topic- how awful do vintage Congas (and bongos) from the big "four" (Ludwig/Slingerland/Rogers/Gretsch) sound?

I have never seen them in person, but have heard from others that they actually sound quite terrible, and are mainly sought after more for collector value rather than sound value.

Always wanted to know- but don't want to spend $350 to find out.

Posted on 15 years ago

The congas from Ludwig, Slingerland, etc. in the 50's thru early 80's were terrible quality and only have value if the color is rare like mod orange, psych red, or other rare colors, strictly as a curiousity. Sound-wise, you'd be better off playing a sturdy cardboard box! If you're looking for a vintage congas, stay with Gon Bop or LP, you'll never regret it. Good luck in your search, they are out there.

Posted on 15 years ago

I recently bought a 10" quinta from a pawn shop. I took it to the lake this weekend to a rv park where we were invited to come play on their new stage. Yesterday they were just pickin' I got my new conga out and I was amazed at how many sounds I could get out of this unique drum. I had a surpprising amount of bass. I love it!

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 15 years ago

I really need to get a third drum asap.

I need a conga

it needs to blend with my vintage gon bop tumba and quinto

i cant wait around to find a vintage gon bop or valje although i know they are both awesome and affordable... (I got my two gon bops for 300 for both)

for about 650 I can get isla percussion drums, congas or a tumba.

I have heard they are the real deal and I would prefer to support those guys more than lp right now, and while i know that gon bop is back in business. something about the uniqueness of these isla's and the good things i have heard about them for rumba and folkloric playing makes me think they are a good long term purchase.

what do u guys think.

Posted on 15 years ago

a bauer would be about 500 for one conga

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here