Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

can single flange rims be cut and welded????

Hi everyone.

I have 2 old 1920's brass snare drums. I do not know if they are wprth much, but I would like to restore them and get as close as possible to original. They are both 15" (you can see them on my other posts - "What have I here)

I can't find a 15" single flange rim ANYWHERE. SO - if I got a 16" hoop. cut out an inch and welded the hoop to 15" wouldit work. I realize there is a curvaure issue here as well, but it may take more than one weld.

Any takers?

Posted on 15 years ago

You can cut and weld them, I've done one, but doing what you're describing will yield unequal tension rod spacings on the hoop. You'd have to take out a section between each pair of rod flanges.

Posted on 15 years ago
Posted on 15 years ago

Sorry, you have SINGLE flangers! Much easier. A local metal shop should be able to help you.

Posted on 15 years ago

THANKS

It is almost impossible to find 15" single flange hoops! I will look into a metal shop and see. I have those 2 old snare drums, possibly Ludwig, with oly 6 lugs! I don't know if these are worth anything or not, butI would like to try and get them to look authentic, even if I use repro parts.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here