Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Can indirect sunlight damage a vintage wrap?

Hey guys!

I have a white oyster vintage kit. From the other kits I've seen in this colour, it is fairly sensitive to yellowing - and mine is in pristine condition. I want to keep it that way.

When I have it set up in my room, it doesn't recieve any direct sunlight, but there is of course indirect sunlight.

Do you think that could be a problem in the long run?

I've had them for about five years and it seems to me that they might have yellowed a bit, although that might be only my imagination.

Should I keep them protected from any daylight at all, or is indirect sunlight ok?

Thank you for your opinions.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 8 years ago

I alwaysvthink uv rays damage any painted finish so a cover would be great or room with no windows but we need to also pay attention to Hvac as it can affect the wrap also

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 8 years ago

If you are asking, you are already concerned about sunlight exposure. Get a dark king sized sheet and cover it when not being used. Cheap insurance and easy to put on and off.

Posted on 8 years ago

I would say yes it can. I have noticed after some 5 years some of my WMP have yellowed a bit further. My 40's bass drum came with a old consolette that was added and I removed. Looking at older pictures of the drum the spot was pretty bright where the consolette sat on the drum for years. Haven't used the consolette in 3 years and the WMP is much more yellow. And the bass overall is much closer to the floor tom which was a bit more yellow. My gears sits in a finished basement out of direct sunlight. But there are 2 small 2'x3' windows with light blocking shades. I keep things covered when not in use. But should maybe invest in some nice soft cases. Interesting and timely topic!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here