Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

can anyone identify this snare??

i have acquired/rescued a snare from a school i teach at. I have been on other forums and although had lots of suggestions as of yet nothing conclusive.

People have suggested maybe Sonor, Premier or Ajax.

what are your thoughts?

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Hello andWelcome to this great forum..As for you snare drum--its not sonor---ia'm thinking premier 1930s by the shape of the lugs--one way to tell is remove one of the lugs and see if made in england is stamped inside lug or numbers, also look at the strainer should have some type of mark on it..But after looking at your photo of the muffler Premier ones did not have 2 mounting screws that mounted that way side to side,they were up and down one mounting screw with hole for the muffler rod also on old premiers the knob would have screwed onto the rod.. With this in mind your drum could also be an Ajax snare from the 30s...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

wow, thanks mikey, that makes sense. I will check the lugs over tonight. Someone suggested that it might be a john grey? not sure if that rings any bells.

I will look into it more

Chewie:

Posted on 14 years ago

It sure looks like a John Grey drum. Seems to be the same strainer as the snare on this catalogue scan.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Its a 1940's Beverley (owned by Premier) Marching snare drum. At the time of manufacture Beverley were still an independant drum company. I have had the same drum, just a few years back!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here