Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Can anyone ID these Premier's?

Hello,

I have virtually no experience with Premier. I know these are probably not vintage. My guess is that they are at least mid-level Premiers. I did notice that on the exterior of the shell (through the lacquer), there is a diagonal seam where the outer ply meets itself. Can anyone make out what series these are/were by looking at the lugs, tom brackets etc? Would these maybe be XPK's?

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/vyacheslav13/th_1-6.jpg[/IMG]

My local Guitar Center has them (used of course) for $299. There is no snare and they are pretty beat up (lots of surface scratches and nicks etc. and the bass drum hoops have some small chunks out of them) and there is no snare. It seems like a fair deal given the condition (and no snare), but I want to be a little more sure about the type and "level" of them (beginner, mid-range, pro) before I seriously consider them.

The sizes appear to be 9" x 10", 10" x 12", 12" x 14" and 14" x 16" with a 22" bass. The 14" and 16" were initially hanging toms, but the previous owner installed Mapex brackets to make them floor toms, and left the original tom bracket on the shell. No hardware; only what is necessary for tom mounting (the missing lower pieces of the bass drum spurs are included).

Thanks for your help on this!

V

Posted on 12 years ago

My guess is that these are XPKs, as the lugs are identical to my XPKs that were new in 1998. They are likely birch/eucalyptus/birch. The only frustration I ever had with them is getting the floor tom to tune low enough. You would not have that problem with these as you have a larger floor (mine was only a 14). The BD (mine was only a 20) was awesome. This 22 would be great. These are of very good strong quality. I would recommend them - unless you want maple.

Though their QC seemed to be good, I would recommend that you have a drum builder inspect the edges and recut them if needed. That one factor makes all the difference in the world to a drum sounding great verses ok. This, for me, is along with my tuning technique-that is tuning to the natural pitch of the shell maximizing resonance, then using studio rings.

Those are pretty as well......

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

....and in your case, if you are setting those floor toms on legs, use suspension feet (Gibraltar or Pearls)...those are great...as effective as RIMS mounts, yet very much more affordable.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here