Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Can a Muffler be re-Felted?

I have a 60s Slingerland snare drum muffler that is missing the round felt pad. Is there a way to add a new one on to the bracket, or would I need to pick up a complete piece?

From a chaotic pile of half-finished drums is beginning to arise my first FINISHED drum restoration project…Hallelujah! This is the last issue remaining...I've gone from starting my first restoration project to juggling 4 at one time! (how did this happen? LOL)

Thanks,

Rimshot3

flowers2

Posted on 11 years ago

Search the Net for Felt Padding/Pads. They can be cut to size.

Posted on 11 years ago

Looks like the originals were fastened with a rivet or hole-thingy. No clue how to do that. My only thought is super-glue! Is that an acceptable fix? What would be the real way to do it?

flowers2

Posted on 11 years ago

My vote is for a complete replacement. Easy enough to find on eBay! Also consider putting a request in the "wanted" section. I'm sure there are plenty of drummers out there who might have one.

Mark

Posted on 11 years ago

I have a few very old bass mufflers that I collect and use as well. My 20's Ludwig came with the felt completely missing. At a thrift store here in town, I found a pair of thick felt boot insets. I traced the shape of the muffler onto the felt, cut it out and a little contact cement finished the job. The nice thing is the muffler looks good and does its job! Hope this might help.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 11 years ago

I would think glue would be an acceptable option. However, you could drill out the old rivet and replace it. Just take your time drilling so you don't damage the rest of the muffler. I think a hand rivet gun cost about $10-20.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here