Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

C&C: how do they compare?

I see a lot of great drummers/bands using newest C&C drums. I wonder, to which classic brand are they more similar with in construction? Ply/thickness/bearing edges/etc... Let's say for the classic rock kit 22/13/16

Thanks!

Posted on 1 year ago

They look like one of the many boutique drum bands that were so popular a couple decades ago. They are obviously modern drums. The hardware looks pretty generic. Personally, I would never invest in any modern drum sets because they will only diminish in value.

Drummers are given kits to use by these lesser-known companies. It's free advertising for them to get their name out there. Also, most of the drummers that use them, are not so famous and usually won't turn down a free kit.

I don't see anything special about them.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 1 year ago

Ok, I had the impression that the objective of this drum maker was to reproduce the drums workmanship from the 60s.

But in the end it's way more expensive than buying a vintage Ludwig/Slingy/Rogers/Gretshc...

Posted on 1 year ago

Yeah, if I had a dime for every time I read that line then I'd be able to buy a Gretsch round badge bop kit! :) Seriously, I'm not trying to single them out, but they can say anything they want about their goal as a manufacturer.

It's difficult to find a really nice vintage kit anymore, so these companies always say that they can make a vintage sounding kit. It's THE buzz word. There's only so much that one can do to make a drum....and it's all been done. C & C and many others like them can make decent sounding drums...but they are also unoriginal and unremarkable.

I had a friend ask me about a kit that he found for sale...Kansas City Drum Company or something like that. They were hunter's vest orange with extended size depth shells. They were asking $700. I told him to pass and buy a brand-new mahogany Gretsch Catalina Club kit in bop sizes for a couple hundred more on a Black Friday sale. I linked him to a set of Dream Bliss cymbals, too....Also got him to agree to buy a DW 5000 pedal and hi hat so that he wouldn't break anything. He took my advice. As a result, he'll be able to not only enjoy the stuff, but he will be able to sell it if and when he ever decides to. That's my take, anyway.

Posted on 1 year ago

Bill Cardwell did work for ALL of the drum companies prior to starting C&C. All behind the scenes. A lot of the custom kits used by endorsers were worked on or built by Bill. I'm sure his 40 year experience is nothing to sneeze at.

Whether or not the price he has on his drums are "worth it" or not is for one to decide on his own.

I have no desire to own any C&C, but as a company, I would not dismiss them.

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 1 year ago

Well, I'm sure they are nice drums. There are a few companies that made it through the plethora of drum "manufacturing" around the turn of the millennium and remained in business.

A problem that I have with them is that most of the raw materials for these drums were made in Asian factories. American "builders" of that era, ordered parts, assembled them, cut the edges and then made claims that their drums were unique. None of them had/have the big equipment that it takes to make ply drum shells the way they used to be made. The wood isn't the same quality. None of them have the equipment it takes to make an original line of hardware the way the old companies used to do. It basically boils down to "fit and finish" -meaning that they take extra attention to detail when they are assembling the parts, sanding the edges and painting/wrapping the shells.

I looked at their site and I didn't see anything that really grabbed my attention as far as innovation goes. My guess is that they will try and supply a lot of new drummers with kits and play the endorsement game. There probably aren't too many other options for such companies. Without the hype train, the drums aren't going to sell themselves....in my opinion.

Posted on 1 year ago

I know C&C are making their own shells and have their own molds.

As far as hardware, NOBODY in the US is making their own hardware as the OSHA crackdown on disposal of plating waste has made it too expensive for ANYONE in the US to do so. EVERY company has their hardware made overseas and has for quite some time.

I will agree that almost ALL of the boutique builders of the 2000's used Lea Hung & Worldmax parts. Even I used them on occasion.

As mentioned, I have no desire to own ANY C&C drums, however, I wouldn't dismiss or thumb my nose at any builder for sourcing their materials, especially Bill.

Whether C&C offers anything different or unique is something we probably agree on....

Posted on 1 year ago

I will also add that I have no idea how much bill is still involved in the company, but as a builder, Bill has my respect... even if I don't like or want any of his current stuff

Posted on 1 year ago

I'm very well aware of the fact that all these people outsource their materials. In fact, my entire reason for not having any desire for modern drums is that. I don't care WHY they do it. Clearly, it's THE way things are done to stay in business...and that's nothing original, either. That's my point. I don't want an Asian made drum set that's assembled and finished in America and then insinuate there is something vintage-American about them. I disagree with that sentiment.

I am talking about not only this company but also the concept behind the business model. I am not suggesting that "Bill" or anyone else is doing something wrong. I am just pointing out that when a modern drum company puts something out....it's not very American-made. When it comes to vintage drums, American-made is one of the most desirable traits to possess. So, inevitably, I don't care what flavor of frosting C & C puts on their cake....because I'm not big on frosting.:)

Posted on 1 year ago

It is actually possible to have fully American made drums. The exception may be the Forrest the maple was harvested in (Canada) but all parts can be American made and chrome plating is available.

Just be prepared to pay for it.

The decision to go off shore is driven my price/cost considerations only. They want to meet a sales price goal and make a profit. Making the same profit, you are going to be well beyond DW pricing.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here