Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Camco Snares

It gets to the point after a while that you may have heard all the sounds snare drums have to offer and one more can't possibly offer anything different. I find myself fascinated with Camco snare drums and have been tracking eBay for the prices they sell for. I know the basics about the George Way - Camco - DW story but I'm curious as to anyone's comments on the sound of the drums and the functionality of the hardware. Does a Camco snare make a good player's drum? Do the throw offs work well? (I've seen two types, the simple cross style and the one that looks like a DW lug). Is there a best period of manufacturer for quality or shell composition?

As always, any comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Keep on Pl

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 18 years ago

Short version - great drums, terrible accoutrements.

Long version - At various times I've owned three different kits in different sizes (actually all of them at one time once) - two LA and one Chanute - plus a chromed brass snare and a wooden 8 lug Aristocrat (both LA). Bottom-line is the drums themselves were/are great but the stands, fittings and, in my single experience, the snare mechanism, all left a lot to be desired.

Pure theorising here but I would imagine that Camco going down the tube in the late 70s had more than a little to do with their total inability to supply the sturdy hardware required of rock drummers of the day - remember this was in the wake of the early 70s Japanese invasion with their really solid hardware and a general upgrading of hardware from pretty much all the American and British manufacturers.

The Camco tom mounts and cymbal stands looked like they were fashioned from paperclips and, honestly, if you were playing anything much tougher than cocktail jazz, things would be falling apart on you.

Similarly the Camco snare mechanism I had had a kind of "rollercoaster" internal action - one smooth ****** gliding over another smooth piece of metal. With time the metal inevitably wore down and your snare mechanism didn't work anymore.

The internal dampers on the drums as well were probably more complicated than they needed to be with a twisted wire "bracelet" affair which just looked like it was going to break and which I found rattled too much to be allowed in a studio.

Suspect any regular gigging/recording musicians would have dumped the original hardware and made their own arrangements - which might account for the paucity of 100% complete "original" Camco kits around today. In my case most of the decisions had already been taken by the original owners.

Great drums though - they're there to play, not look at, right?

DR

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks so much for the reply. I think you gave me exactly the info I was looking for. The story on the mufflers explains why I see the drums offered frequently with the mufflers missing.

Just reminds me of a stupid thing I did years ago. The mufflers in my RB Gretsch kit were rattling so I took them all out and puttied all the holes up. About 10 years later my parents sold the house and in clearing clutter from my childhood and teen years, I simply threw a whole bag of them out. Those drums were never going to be pristine vintage because I was always messing with them but at the very least I could have sold the parts on eBay.

So it goes. Now I don't throw anything out.

Regards,

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

I hear ya - done similar things myself.

DR

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here