Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Camco snare

From what I can tell searching here it looks like an Aristocrat maple shell.

-only there are 16 single sided lugs instead of 8 dual sided ones

-was the shell drilled for 8 more lugs? not sure, using the origional middle hole?

-the strainer & butt are not origional.

-the batter hoop is an 8 lug die-cast, the snare side hoop is lighter and has roughly 1/2" deep gates.

The strainer/throw needs to be replaced, has a 2 3/4" vertical hole to hole.

Any info is appreciated, Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

How deep is the drum? I don't think that is something that would have been done at the Oaklawn plant. Maybe L.A.

Posted on 15 years ago

Whoops, it's a 6.5 x 14.

Are the single double ended Camco lugs set dead centre on the shell, or roughly 1/2" from the centre towards the top of the shell?

Posted on 15 years ago

I have a Camco kit. The one thing I learned when I restored it (long ago, in the early 80's) was that never say ANYTHING with any certainty about ANYTHING they ever built after G. Way's takeover. One thing for sure, that is a nice looking snare. It matches my set, don't cha know... Since I've never been able to come up with a matching snare, I think you should ship that one to me. Soon, if you don't mind... Laughing H

fishwaltz
Posted on 15 years ago

All done up. A Gibraltar throw fit the existing holes with a bit of tweeking & had a butt plate in the parts drawer that matched the holes just fine. Put a grommet in the existing hole.

Gonna play it for a bit, but if I ship, you'll be the first to know Fishwaltz.

4 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Ship or no, that's one fine n dandy looking drum! Good job! Just looking at those pix makes me itch all over!

Cool1Cool1Cool1

(a tri cool drum)

fishwaltz
Posted on 15 years ago

A little late in on this one - I've got an LA 14" x 6 1/2" Camco snare in the same finish as that one. But the lugs are centred. Only time I ever saw (or rather saw catalogued) anything like that was a 15" x 8" orchestra drum in an early 60s catalogue.

But Camco were known for doing all sorts of custom stuff all the way along so I guess if someone wanted double lugs, they could've got 'em. Or someone put on a double set of lugs as already suggested.

If it originally had a Camco strainer (which isn't a definite anyway) the old Rogers strainers are an exact fit were a not uncommon modification of the period when they figured out the Camco strainers were a bit, er, unreliable.

Cheers,

David

Posted on 15 years ago

That is an L.A. snare due to the placement of the strainer in relationship to the vent/badge hole. If it were an Oaklawn or Chanute the strainer would be on the left side. Nice drum. Also check out the splay on the rods. L.A. Camco shells were very undersized for their day. That shell is also a 6 ply Keller where Oaklawn & Chanute era Camco were 4 & 6 ply Jasper.

1957 George Way BDP 26" concert bass drum
1959 George Way BDP 22/12/16 w/ 5.5x14
1959 George Way Green Sparkle 22/12/16 w/5.5x14
1961 George Way Blue Sparkle 20/12/15
1961 George Way Jelly Bean 20/12/14 w/4.5x14
1960’s Camco Oaklawn Champagne 20/12/14/16w/5x14
1971-73 Camco Chanute Walnut 24/14/18 w/5x14 COB
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here