Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

camco snare

Hey, just wanted to know if anyone could tell me more about a camco 5X14 LA snare I have. Its has round lugs, round throw off, its wood with a metal covering. Was this a common snare ( standard with new sets)? Its in very good shape, clear maple interior with the number 37 stamped on the inside. The shell is very undersized, were all camco's like this? It sounds much deeper than 5 inches. This is my first experience with camco drums and can't find info on it, thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

The shells, particularly on the LA drums, tend to be undersized.

You have an Aristrocrat model (Aristrocrat is the the lug type - the Tuxedo was the more conventional enlongated model which had been phased out by the time they got to LA). I've seen Oaklawn and LA variants of the chrome over wood but don't recall having seem them catalogued (but Camco catalogues were a bit make-shift compared to their competition and they seemed to offer many options not catalogued). I'd say they weren't incredibly common but I wouldn't call them rare either (otherwise I wouldn't have seen any).

The number on the inside - most of us have wondered about those and have I still to make head or tail of them. If there is a number at all (which is rare in itself), it tends to be four digits written in a bold felt-tipped pen - opinion tends to towards month and year together. But numbering was generally haphazard and I can't recall having come across a stamped number before - suffice to say numbering wasn't really Camco's thing.

I've got a 6" (according to the catalogues it's 6 1/2") deep LA wood snare and I love it but I know of other Camco enthusiasts who aren't mad on the snares. Oaklawn badge Camcos tend to be the collectors favourites generally but LAs and Chanutes are also pretty much beyond reproach IMHO (but there are those that would didsagree). I've only had one Camco drum I didn't like and that was an 18" LA floor which was a bit beach-ball like.

I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here