Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

camco snare drum

I'm guessing this is an LA Series 452 snare drum. Belongs to a friend. He has kindly loaned it to me to play, so first I'm just do a few small fixes. Has had a lot of the same stuff done to it as my 59 Slingerland - many holes in bad places. Also has some rattling re-ring separations and poor glue repairs. I pulled it apart immediately only because the heads were wrecked, so I wouldn't have played it the way it is.

A few questions if I may:

Currently has a Pearl throw and butt. has anyone got a decent picture of the originals? Trying to work out which holes are which.

Were the original throws any good?

Owner said he replaced some lugs so I'm guessing the ones with the springs are Camco and the others are the DW's? What most likely happened - do they sometimes crack?

Interesting edges and nice wood. I should imagine the edges are not even but generally - these are good snares? I am aware of the Camco kits reputation; but there's not as much information about the snares.

This drum ideally should be properly restored and re-wrapped, imo.

[IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/troutstudio/Others/IMG_2990_zps45507126.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/troutstudio/Others/IMG_2994_zps08d391c4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/troutstudio/Others/IMG_2992_zps0a98b9b0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/troutstudio/Others/IMG_2995_zps4dd86afd.jpg[/IMG]

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 10 years ago

Those are killer snares,...

Quite sad to see the numerous extra holes especially the ones next to the badge,...

Agree, the only proper solution to all the issues would be a re-wrap.

I owe a couple of Camco snares but unfortunately not a 6,5” LA.

Attached a couple of pictures of my 5” Los Angeles snare.

Many of the snare strainer were replaced as the originals were not holding their „on” position very well after a while. A shame as it’s fairly easy to fix that problem. Steve Dolfan posted a great tutorial somewhere here on the forum how to do that.

None of the lugs seem original to me. The one in the picture attached is the only type I’ve seen on LA Camco drums.

The two holes closest to each other are the ones for the original strainer.

Good luck with the project, please keep us informed.

4 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

I've got one of these and it's the best snare drum I've ever owned. Had another one but sold it to someone in the US recently - seemed greedy to have two of the same snare.

The throw. Stedi's taken a decent photo. If you want to see one up close, drop me a line. Rarely do Sydney drum collectors have a chance to share knowledge face to face. I'm in Rushcutters Bay.

The originals had only two holes - finding an original is a nightmare. A very creditable "same hole pattern", used by many people back in the day so with a certain vintage cred, is a Rogers clockface (of which I have a spare - guess why).

The original throws are quirky and, you might argue, internally over-engineered. There are a couple of simple fixes to make them work reliably without spontaneously throwing off when you do a rim shot (the aforementioned Dolfan tutorial is the business for one of them) but that would pre-suppose you can actually find one to fix in that way.

I think historically these fixes weren't common knowledge which is why you'll find so many of these drums without the original throw. Finding the originals is difficult and expensive if you go the US route where people know what they are. I haven't seen a complete one on ebay for months. You may get lucky here to find an old one from someone who doesn't know what they were - Camco importer was based in Canberra so that's your best bet. May even know someone I can ask.

Exactly why someone was drilling some of those holes is a mystery (by the badge - seriously?) but, though they may show, I'd maybe pass this by Steele up in Dural. He's done some very nice plugging for me and I think he could do wonders with this. The additional strainer holes would be hidden by the new throw for the most part.

And the lugs....yes, different generations of DWs being used there (some of them pretty early). The LA drums had flat non-Phillips head screws.

I wouldn't say the lugs have a big history of popping. If they've been seriously cranked then yes it can happen but having had Camco snares for over 30 years now, I've never had it happen with any of the lugs whilst on my watch though have bought a few where it's happened on a few.

There's a guy in the US selling some of these lugs comparatively cheaply if you want to get the originals.

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Camco-Turret-Snare-Drum-Lug-/291063458110?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c4bbe93e[/ame]

I don't bother on mine - I just use DWs (picked up quite a few of these for pennies during the Allans/Hyde closure last year) with the swivel nuts replaced with standard thread.

Drop me a PM so we can exchange numbers if you want any more fast info.

David

Posted on 10 years ago

Here's a shot of the strainer hole pattern from the drum I sold (the two larger holes closest to each other) also showing where the internal damper is placed - it's so central on the drum this sometimes causes consternation if the damper is no longer there.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks very much, that's great info and replies from everyone. Makes sense about the smaller holes. I was wondering if there was a more suitable throw replacement than the Pearl. Rogers clockface - wow - that's probably a stretch. See - I don't own this drum. Who knows, if I like the sound I might ask him - he has 4 Camco snare drums and a kit. I could definitely do the plugging for a wrap. I've already cleaned up and re-glued the re-enforcing rings but as it's not mine I don't want to do too much. Yes, Steele is good but I have another drumsmith who is excellent gives me mates rates. If I owned this drum I would wrap it myself and try and find a more suitable throw - maybe even a generic Slingerland type. I don't hit hard and snare throws coming off are not usually an issue.

I'm fascinated about Slingerluds comment about the shells. So all this era had undersized shells? I have always heard that the kits sounded great and didn't really get why they would sound any better than similar vintage. But I can see the timber quality; the Slingerland type re-rings; the strange apex edges and they are undersized? Wild.

David - you live in Rushcutters bay and you didn't get to see The Kites play at The Woollahara in March? It's a fun outing there, I'm here to tell you. I am going to put this drum back together with new heads and snares and play it this Sunday at The Red Lion in Rozelle from 4:00 - 7:00. It's a fun little gig. You have to be into Steely Dan of course, but there are other songs in the set ;) I will message you when we are back at the Wooly in June or thereabouts. I could scream past and pick you up. Anyway I will send my details. Interesting to hear how this drum will sound compared to some benchmark drums I own.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 10 years ago

Tell your mate I'd be interested to hear about his Camco snares. I'm down to three plus a Geo. Way at the moment but I feel something is lacking.

Tracked down a strainer in Canberra but he doesn't want to sell.

And let me know next time you're gigging.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here