Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Camco LA badge 6,5” Model 712M

Hi VDF,

Just want to share my latest Camco find.

Yesterday DVDM (Dutch Vintage Drum Meeting) held their yearly Drum show near Utrecht in Holland.

http://www.dutchvintagedrummeeting.nl

Holland and Belgium has a fairly small but lively Vintage Drum community and every year in September the group gets together.

I wasn’t hoping for a big find until somewhere hidden under a table, a 6,5” shell caught my eye.

To my astonishment, it was a 6,5” Camco COB 10-lugger.

It was stripped from all its hardware but luckily, no extra holes were drilled.

Apart from a few minor dings and scratches, the shell is in good condition.

I spent a couple of hours cleaning and assembling and here she is,... the elusive Camco LA badge Model 712M.

T-rods are Ludwig and at least 1 hoop is also not original.

I had to take a few parts from another snare drum to show you some pictures of the complete drum.

It sounds phenomenal and tunes like a dream,... I couldn’t be happier !!!

Once again it’s proven that Belgium and Holland is good hunting ground for LA period Camco drums.

Notice that the placement of the tone-control and strainer is different from the catalog pictures.

Regards

Stef

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Some more,...

Posted on 9 years ago

Stef. man this is one awesome snare drum, sweet !!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Fantastic snare Stef and it looks ready for the showroom floor.Really nice clean job and well worth the 2 hrs. to see that shine.I think i can see it smiling too...enjoy that baby!

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 9 years ago

Wow, Right On Stef! You got a steal of a deal...

It's the only 10 lugger I've seen so far and in pristine condition...

Posted on 9 years ago

Sweet snare, Stef...I bet she cranks! Doesn't look like the Camco fever is going to get cured anytime soon, huh? I'm officially requesting a pic of the entire collection for us to drool over!

- EMD
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks guys,

By no means this drum is in showroom condition but I must admit that the polished chrome hides a lot of the flaws.

There is quite a nasty scratch on the panel left from the badge.

I’m not to worried about it though taking into account this is probably one of the rarest Camco snares around.

If Sling says it’s the first he saw so far, it must be,...;)

Sound wise, the drum is similar to a 6,5 10-lug Slingerland Sound King I have. It’s just a tad dryer and I have the impression it’s not as loud. In all it’s a very sensitive and responsive drum and like most Camco Drums the tuning range is huge.

1 attachments
130.8 kB
Posted on 9 years ago

Fabulous snare Stef. Been after one of those for a while and narrowly missed one here in Sydney, Australia quite a few years back.

Still on topic, I just happened to be in Brisbane and visited the unexpectedly large and fine drum hire outfit The Drum Cartel.....and here were just three of the many, many snares (and kits) they had on hand - 10 lug 6 1/2" LA badge, a 10 lug 5" LA badge and a Geo. Way student model. Also had a couple of LA kits there. These were all in pretty good nick (the owner wasn't there to ask but wouldn't surprise me if the 6 1/2" deep was the same one I'd been after way back).

Hope springs eternal.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks David,

I went on their FaceBook page,... my goodness what a collection !?

I’ve seen at least 3 Camco sets and a couple of snares,... I believe all LA badge indeed.

Posted on 9 years ago

LA badges is all we ever got down here....but, yeah, quite a place.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here