Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Camco Hoshino Sunburst

This is my latest rehab project. They are 1979-80 Camco's built by Hoshino(Tama) in the Pennsylvania plant prior quitting production of the Camco drum line all together. This was probably one of the last kits made by them and features all maple Jasper shells without rerings. The second floor tom for sure is the last drum ever made by Hoshino in the USA as the original owner was friends with Ken Hoshino and they built him that drum well after production had ceased on the Camco line.

This is the same drum type production that Elvin Jones endorsed for the Hoshino family.

These were one owner drums and in very nice condition to start with, but I gave them the full monty with a deep cleaning, chrome tumble/polish and shell buffing. They are spectacular looking and sounding drums, I am so pleased how they turned out. Add to that the fact that they may be one of the last Camco kits actually made in the USA, of which they didn't make many of to start with, plus more rare is the color which Hoshino thought they only made 5 sets or so.

Thanks go to Stallwart for giving me a lead on a missing broken lug, which are near impossible to find.

They are sized 13", 16", 16", and 22" bass.

I figured they would be a nice addition to my growing Camco collection.

Next up for rehab is a Oaklawn kit(apart now) and then another LA Natural Maple kit so stay tuned for more Camco's.

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/nopork/image/153238240.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/nopork/image/153238242.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/nopork/image/153238243.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/nopork/image/153238241.jpg[/IMG]

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Beautiful drums she's a hot one.

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 10 years ago

Very nice looking fade. Beautiful drum kit.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

Classiest fade I've ever seen. Sweet. Thanks for sharing with us. Love the history too.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 10 years ago

Great finish and great restoration. The only other photo of a Hoshino Camco kit with this finish I've ever seen was in their sales brochure.

Posted on 10 years ago

From Stallwart

Great finish and great restoration. The only other photo of a Hoshino Camco kit with this finish I've ever seen was in their sales brochure.

Great looking kit well done....Who said modern was best. All my playing is still done on classic drums from 70's......seanWalking

Posted on 10 years ago

LA Camco drums were built with Keller shells not Jasper. If they were left over shells then they would be 6 ply Keller. Since there are no rings those shells are probably birch.

1957 George Way BDP 26" concert bass drum
1959 George Way BDP 22/12/16 w/ 5.5x14
1959 George Way Green Sparkle 22/12/16 w/5.5x14
1961 George Way Blue Sparkle 20/12/15
1961 George Way Jelly Bean 20/12/14 w/4.5x14
1960’s Camco Oaklawn Champagne 20/12/14/16w/5x14
1971-73 Camco Chanute Walnut 24/14/18 w/5x14 COB
Posted on 10 years ago

From DolFan54

LA Camco drums were built with Keller shells not Jasper. If they were left over shells then they would be 6 ply Keller. Since there are no rings those shells are probably birch.

They are maple shells and could be Keller without re-rings(?) but thought to be Jaspers, as that is what Hoshino had told the original owner. I was a professional commercial woodworker for 40+ years, using a lot of exotic veneers and woods in my business, these do appear to be maple shells.

I had a set of Tama Superstar Birch shell drums, in their sunburst color, that I bought new in 1980 and they had the birch shells with a diagonal seam joints, as were all the Superstar Birch shells from that era. These shells have a vertical seam joint on both the inside and outside veneers, so I don't think they are Tama shells of any type. Also, Hoshino told the original owner they sourced the shells from the US for this set.

Either way they sound great and are very well made drums.

Posted on 10 years ago

I bet they sound great.

Superb looking drum kit with lots of history.

Congratulations.

Posted on 10 years ago

I've never owned one, and seen very few (five maybe?) but the Hoshino Camco's have always been held in very high regard by me. (like that means anything! LoLoLoLo)

They indeed do sound incredible. Those are beautiful, rare drums. Thanks for posting the pix, and the fine restoration!.

fishwaltz
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here