Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Camco Fans-Help!

Hey out there!

I just came across a Camco kit and not knowing a lot I bought it. I now realize it's a lot older than 1975! Anyways it gold sparkle 20/12/16 and it appears in pretty good shape minus the Rogers memory lock someone put on it years back. It has white painted interiors and super wide rerings. I just noticed the bass drum is missing a few lugs. The badge says Camco Drum Co. Oaklawn Illinois and is similar to a cloud badge. Any ideas on the model and shell construction of this kit? Would it be worth restoring as I know parts for these appear to be scarce. Also any idea of a year and what would be an approx. value? The floor tom is perfect but the tom(drill for rogers mount) and bass drum need some attention.

I attached a pic of the 12"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vince

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I have an Oaklawn kit 18,12,14. They are wonderful drums. In the same class with Gretsch and Rogers. Because mine are re-wrapped they have a little less value, but I've had estimates of $2000. The 18 makes them more valuable. Yours should be worth at least $1500 I would think. Check out Steve Maxwells website. I think he has some. Also past sales on ebay. Keep them. Play them. You will like them. Good score! Oh yeah, age, early 1960s.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi Atomicmorganic,

Thanks for the info. Turns out I'm missing two BD lugs and all the front T-rods/claws. Would modern DW's work? I think that's what I'll settle for and even they are hard to find never mind the Camco ones. I'm thinking of taking off the Rogers mount and trying to do a patch and fill on the tom ( I don't want to rewrap as the wrap is quite good) and BD then going to a RIMS mount for the tom. I tuned them up and they are the real deal! I see they are some repro consolettes that appear pretty good that might be an option(this might help with the tom using a diamond plate like the original. Any ideas on how to proceed?

thanks,

Vince

Posted on 15 years ago

Modern DW should fit, but make sure you can get the non-truepitch lugs and t-rods....otherwise they will be a different thread than your Camco originals.....which could cause problems down the road.

Posted on 15 years ago

Many Camco drums from that era were equipped with Rogers tom mounts from the factory, so those Rogers parts may be original.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here