Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Camco Aristocrat snare restoration progress

Shown here is before and after of shell and hoops. I was disappointed that more of the light pitting wouldn't come off. I didn't use foil as most of my chrome restoration as this is a rare bird and didnt' want to scratch the shell. I used a small buffing tip, but it caused a bit of discoloration. I'm more disappointed that I broke the "hubnuts" that the strainer mounts with. I am extemely please with the hoops. Next up is the 13 inch tom. I already shot some "before" photos and will take some of the interior as well.

3 attachments
Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 11 years ago

Hard to see the discoloration but the shell looks very nice to me. I found using smaller/narrow buffing wheels on larger/wider surfaces would sometimes leave overlapping patterns. What color discoloration does it have?

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

From FFR428

Hard to see the discoloration but the shell looks very nice to me. I found using smaller/narrow buffing wheels on larger/wider surfaces would sometimes leave overlapping patterns. What color discoloration does it have?

It's around the badge, just a different shade of clean or dirt. I'll get a close-up and post it when I can. I did try to use foil on an small area and it scratched, so I stopped that quick.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 11 years ago

Those tiny buffers run too fast and hot. The discoloration may not be reversible. Try a good quality chrome polish (Mother's, etc.) and just seal and protect the area.

It's a sweet looking drum. I especially like the bearing edges, fat roll-over, lots of contact area. But that's what Camco's are known for, great drums, great sound.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Those tiny buffers run too fast and hot. The discoloration may not be reversible. Try a good quality chrome polish (Mother's, etc.) and just seal and protect the area.

I was using a good quality polish and a variable speed tool, but I think you nailed it, too much speed. I'm okay with it, as it was pretty bad to begin with. It's not mint, but it's not a player's, it's right in between.

Here's a "before" of the tom.

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

> It's not mint, but it's not a player's, it's right in between.

Trust me, you're the envy of every kid on the block! That's a sweet set of drums. Wait until you get to play them. The first time I sat down behind my Camco's to play, the sound of the drums made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up at attention. They really are musical/melodic drums. Awesome tone. Can't wait to see yours detailed and up and running. Love BDP. Classy.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here