Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

calf skin heads

hey there.

i just got myself a nice 1920s ludwig universal snare drum. it has the calf skin heads on. now i got a few questions:

- is it possible to say if the heads are 100% original? can't see any stamp or so.

- the heads are quite worn. the top head is dirty (from brush playing). it also looks like it hasn't been put up all "straight" (one side has a deeper "imprint" than the other, sorry, missing some english words here and there)

is it possible to clean those skins without damaging them? is it anyway worth putting them back on or should i consider replacement (remo fiberskyn or so), not really sure if i want this drum to be a "player" or just a collectors item...

the drum also still had the original (gut-??) wires, those "single wires", you know. i'll probably keep them, clean them and put them back on, shouldn't i ?

this drum is awesome and after cleaning it, it'll look fab (i'll post some pics when it's done)

greetz from germany

michael

Posted on 16 years ago

From tommykat1

You'll want modern plastic heads, as calfskin is impossible to keep tuned, and the manufacturers are now making retro heads to fit vintage drum bearing edges.If it's going to be for show and tell, keep it original.

wouldn't all 14 inch drum heads fit (as i said, like the fiberskyn to keep the vintage look)?

btw: anybody tried "new" heads with gut wires? how's that sound?

Posted on 16 years ago

Impossible to tell if they are original. Regardless, from a collectors stand point the heads are the least important thing on a drum.

It is nice to have old calf heads to have that vintage look and vibe, but they are not practical from todays playing standards.

Mike Curotto has the largest collection of vintage drums from this era and he sets all of his drums period correct and the sound is exactly that, period correct. So unless your playing music from that era then it would not be the best choice.

Then again if you are just playing the drum for fun it really is up to you and the sound you want to acheive is all part of having fun in the hobby.

Just to clarify, If I find a vintage "Gem" and the heads were shot, it makes no difference for the value to me.

There are drums with a more historical significance that would probably do better in value with original heads.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

From mschrant

hey there.i just got myself a nice 1920s ludwig universal snare drum. it has the calf skin heads on. now i got a few questions:- is it possible to say if the heads are 100% original? can't see any stamp or so.- the heads are quite worn. the top head is dirty (from brush playing). it also looks like it hasn't been put up all "straight" (one side has a deeper "imprint" than the other, sorry, missing some english words here and there)is it possible to clean those skins without damaging them? is it anyway worth putting them back on or should i consider replacement (remo fiberskyn or so), not really sure if i want this drum to be a "player" or just a collectors item...the drum also still had the original (gut-??) wires, those "single wires", you know. i'll probably keep them, clean them and put them back on, shouldn't i ?this drum is awesome and after cleaning it, it'll look fab (i'll post some pics when it's done)greetz from germanymichael

Probably not original as you've probably changed heads numerous times on the snare drum that you play on today...safe to say "of-the-era" though...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 16 years ago

thanks everybody for all the comments. i indeed was very unsure about the whole thing. i own a few luddies from the 60s and 70s, and they are all very nice and well "working" drums.

as for this universal model snare now, after cleaning up i have replaced the calf skin heads with new ones, but have put on the original wires again, so this way, i guess i have a playable and for my collector wishes more or less original snare.

only thing worrying me is that the gut wires are not all "off" when i switch of the strainer, but i guess (hope) thats more the normal problem with these wires and not my stupidity putting them on wrong ??? ... anyway, pics coming tomorrow....

Posted on 16 years ago

From tommykat1

Yes, they will all fit. However, the bearing edge design today is massively different from back in the day, and the heads were designed around the edge. So, a new "vintage" style head suits the more rounded bearing edges of the past....But, like the experts have weighed in, on something that old, what kind of sound do you want to achieve?

What are the new "vintage" style heads that you are talking about? Are they made to accommodate a rounded bearing edge?

Posted on 16 years ago

Does Evans make one? What about Aquarian?

Posted on 16 years ago

I have been using the Evans J1 for sometime now on my 20s Ludwigs and other vintage snares,the stick response is really nice and very sensitive for rolls but also can be hit hard.Although they sound a little bit like good calf heads the real nice thing is that they dont sound at all like plastic,I suppose its because they are not coated??:confused: Dion

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here