Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

calf skin drum heads

Hi. to all...my name is maurice from Hastings .England. Has any one heard of SUPER

GJ Smith

CALF drum heads?.....seen on a old 20's snare.

Posted on 14 years ago

From maurice

Hi. to all...my name is maurice from Hastings .England. Has any one heard of SUPERGJ SmithCALF drum heads?.....seen on a old 20's snare.

no but i have a lot of experience with calf heads and there were myriads of brands. some were branded for well known companies by diverse makers usually associated with or located near to stockyards. a case in point is Chicago Rawhide who mfg. a broad range of leather goods( even the differential oil seals for Land Rovers). Chicago Rawhide and Amrawco were the prominent U.S. makers and they produced for most of the major drum co's----so you will seefor instance Radio King labelled heads but these were fro m one of the two above. There were also lots of heads stamped with the name of a specific music shop or music distributor.

Gj Smith was then either A secondary industry to an Abbatoir, A music shop or An obscure Drum Maker or A musical instrument distributor. Since it is English , there should be a way of tracking the company down. How about starting with an alphabetical search of all the parish records from the early 20th century. Don't forget to put that in your will and keep it in mind for your next reincarnation.

Posted on 14 years ago

thanks for the infornation..will check it out. the head is on a 1920's premier with no badge. SUPER

GJ Smith

CALF

SLUNK.

i am checking it out on ebay.....1920s Premier 14" Snare Drum - Calf Skin Heads. check it out..see what you think.

Also checking out a Premier piccolo snare drum vintage on ebay. trying to work out if its 50's or 60's.

great forum this.

moz

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here