Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

buying complete or restoring?

I'm thinking about getting some Rogers holiday shells and building up from there, but I've never done any restoration projects before. Do you think it's worth it to restore it, or just buy a "complete" on the bay?

And this question can just be a general question pointed towards any drum restoration project.

Posted on 15 years ago

Buy a set. Keep it to minor issues like maybe some incorrect tension rods, but maintain a standard of excellence in what you buy in regards to conditon, and completeness, stay away from recut edges and rewraps.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

I like that. The standard of excellence. I was just wanting to restore some rogers because I saw some ebay listings for shells, and I really wanted the marine pearl finish. That's why I thought about restoring drums and playing them. But I really like how you bring up the standard of excellence. I want to hear other people's opinions.

Posted on 15 years ago

I agree. Buy a complete, matched set of vintage drums. You will never regret it. Get some drums with no extra holes -no alterations -no broken or compromised hardware -nothing re-wrapped, etc.

"Maintain a standard of excellence" -Couldn't have said it better!Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

I don't know. There's just something cool about rebuilding a kit that's in pain. If you've never done it, maybe it's time to play. That's just my take. I love the idea of breathing new life into drums that others have burried. Very cool stuff.

Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

I don't know. There's just something cool about rebuilding a kit that's in pain. If you've never done it, maybe it's time to play. That's just my take. I love the idea of breathing new life into drums that others have burried. Very cool stuff.

yeah. That's the only reason I wanted to rebuild. I wanted to get my hands dirty and understand the drums a little bit more. But then again, I can always buy completes, and take them apart, clean, and get the same results.

Money is an issue also.

Posted on 15 years ago

I think it has to do with what you are going to do with the drums. If you are going to gig them a lot, rebuilt or rewraps are fine for players. Pristine original vintage kits might not be the first choice for this. If you just want something to set up in the den and show to your friends and relatives, then get them as nice as possible.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, those are all good points, too. It does depend on what your application of the drums is going to be.

I have a certain "budget" for vintage kits. I only buy the ones that I can tell are closely matched and in unaltered condition -because I can't afford to fix up old drum sets! The prices of nice wraps and vintage parts is still too high for me to make it a feasible venture in most cases. And, it takes time to do the refurbishment. And, after the drums have been refurbished, their collectible resale value is negated.

It's more expensive in the short term to buy exactly what I want. But, ultimately, it's less expensive because an unmolested matched kit will hold/gain value. A refurbished kit will be a different story.

Things like extra holes in the bass drum and mis-matched drums bug me. I realize it has nothing to do with the sound. Still, these little things bug me. So, I avoid them....

...But, I am very picky!Chewie:Car Driving2

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

I would definitely play a pristine vintage kit on gigs. And you guys are right, I should just get a complete set and fix the parts that need fixing.

Posted on 15 years ago

From O-Lugs

The prices of nice wraps and vintage parts is still too high for me to make it a feasible venture in most cases.

I have also found that to be true. It's why I have an unfinished refurb sitting in my garage. I can't afford to finish it the way I want to. I've toyed with the idea of just slapping something together but something in me won't let me do it.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here