Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Buddy Rich Traps Performance

This is a copy from a tape that someone recorded with a hand mic that I converted to an MP3 and uploaded to the site. Unfortunately it is not the best recording.

You can hear some amazing stick work and Buddy does some talking at the beginning, he taps, plays Stars and Stripes at the end on the snare drum.

This is a 13MB file and will eat my bandwidth. I can't leave it up for long.

Sorry Link Removed

David

Posted on 17 years ago

You know... I have a virtual TON of BR material in all different mediums, but haven't ever heard this one! Pretty neat, and probably the hands down most syncopated version of "Stars and Stripes Forever" that I have ever heard. You gotta love Buddy! Especially impressive for his age at the time... yes, he was without a doubt, "One of a kind". THANKS David!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey TommyP,

I'm on the hunt to find this original recording, do you think it was from a record or possibly an old radio show? My guess is an old record.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

thats great...what age was Buddy when this was recorded ?

Posted on 17 years ago

David/JohnG...

This EARLY BR performance is circa 1929 and was not a record per se. I believe that it was a "collection" of filmed "shorts", and/or a radio broadcast that happened to be filmed at the same time. The audio tracks remain, but the film segments have been MIA for quite some time, although every once and a while a piece pops up here and there.

JohnG: Buddy's age at this time would be 12... still ... quite impressive for the technical aspects alone! Here is a listing of all the material that was recorded/filmed during this broadcast/session:

That Wonderful Boyfriend Of Mine

Am I Blue?

If You Were Mine

Bashful Baby

Stars And Stripes Forever

I thank Charley Braun for his help in researching this! The EARLY BR stuff is of great interest to the BR fan!... not to mention the fact that it is downright impressive given Buddy's age.

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Sorry gents and lady folk I had to pull the link.

Mainly for non forum member bandwidth use.

If you PM me I will send you the link so you can hear this rare performance.

For anyone that downloaded it and saved it to their system, please do not give it out to other people or post it on the Internet.

Thanks

David

Webmaster

Posted on 17 years ago

I would love to hear this performance. It's from a 1929 (as mentioned before) Vitaphone recording - Vitaphone #949, "Buddy Traps in 'Sound Effects.'"

-Eric

Posted on 17 years ago

David:

I hope the offer still holds, as I am a fairly new members and just opened this particular thread. I am a big fan of BR and love to listen to his stickwork.

Not sure if you have my email address on file, but if not, please ask.

Thanks very much.

Peter

Posted on 17 years ago

I was talking to an old friend (in his 80's) and he has a record with this performance, so if it is true I will make a better copy for everyone to listen to.

More next week if he drops it off

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Any news with your friend who has a different copy? I really enjoyed the one you originally posted and would love to hear this version. Thanks again.

-Eric

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here