Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Buddy Rich "Dynamo" Hi Hat original color?

For whatever reason, I'v refurbished a bunch of old hi hats lately. Tonight I'm working on a first - a Slingerland Buddy Rich Dynamo (model 809?).

It is in reasonably good cosmetic shape. But the design and build of this stand are amazing! Too many details to go into here -- okay, here's a sample: the lower tube is not press fit into the pedal 'frame,' unlike almost everything else I've seen. No, it's THREADED and held in place with set screws. This really is a well designed piece of hardware. Most impressive.

Does anyone have a photo of an original? It'd be interesting to see the tube/clamp wing screws (this one has an LP replacement), and the color of the pedal frame. I've seen them on ebay in black (this one is), but also the "hammered finish" green type paint.

Is there a good source for photos?

Posted on 13 years ago

Here's some pics of mine...

I need to dust her off a bit, sorry

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

Yep that's the same one... only mine doesn't have tubular legs! I found a catalog source online, and it shows the frame as gloss black.

Probably right, right?

Posted on 13 years ago

When I purchased mine, it had a solid metal black piece under the pedal attachment, instead of the knob that someone put on there. I was eyeballing one like you mentioned also.

Posted on 13 years ago

From bfulton

Yep that's the same one... only mine doesn't have tubular legs! I found a catalog source online, and it shows the frame as gloss black.Probably right, right?

Man, I've had two others with the solid legs and I can't recall.

Forum member Stevo bought one of them, you might PM him and see for sure.

Kev

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

Just did a search and found these pics in older threads.

Hope Atomic and VTM2000 don't mind I borrowed them to good purpose.

So, looks like either frame color is correct.

2 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

It looks like gloss black is the way to go.

And mine has the chrome knob securing the baseplate. It IS in nice shape -- now showroom, but close.

And these are so well made! I did a fair amount of car restoration work for a while, and let me tell you, there's a big difference between engineering standards between vintage Porsches and old Fiats. This stand makes me think of the vintage Porsches. Great detail in the engineering.

I see a pristine one of these went for 277 on ebay. A lot of dough, but it looks brand new.

Hey, can't wait to get it back together for a test drive!

One piece I would like to replace is the chrome knob holding the pedal baseplate. I'll bet those can't be had for lover or money ... can they?

Posted on 13 years ago

From bfulton

One piece I would like to replace is the chrome knob holding the pedal baseplate. I'll bet those can't be had for lover or money ... can they?

I've never seen one for sale.... never hurts to put it in the Wanted section here and the other forums though.

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, black is right. -At least it was 1975 when mine was made :)

And, thanks to pictures in this thread, i finally understand what the little hole in the front of the base is for. I never knew that there was something missing on mine DOH

1 attachments
70's Slingerland, 13,14,18,24" Copper wrap
70's Pearl Wood/fiberglass 12,13,13,14,16,18,22,24" Red
70's Pearl Fiberglass shells 12,13,16, 22" White
70's Hayman, 13,14,16,22" Black
60's Hoshino, 13,16,20" WMP
2009 Ludwig element, 10,12,13,16,22" Orange
Posted on 13 years ago

And that is one stout spur, too. With the spurs on the legs and that thing... Bill Stewart should try it!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here