Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Buddy Rich Luddy Kit ... somewhat rare

Posting this for TommyP. This is one of the more elusive Ludwig kits out there. A real honest to goodness Buddy kit from the last gasps of breath of a great company. Cool kit for sure. NO. That ain't me. Honestly don't know who it is. The drumming is secondary to the kit. Nice aging on the wrap. Check out that modular tom arm. Sweet stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/relvis42?email=comment_received#p/u/15/Wxpjr53Cufw

Posted on 13 years ago

mcjnic!...

Too funny!... because ... I knew before I even clicked on the link what you were going to show here! LOL! Reason is: I have chatted with this guy in the past... couple years back actually. He was very nice. My interest at the time was of course in the set he has, as it is one of the FEW genuine 70's Ludwig Buddy Rich model sets that I have seen, and replete with Modular hardware... indeed! I was curious to see if he would part with them... but of course he still has them! ( who can blame him?! ) I have to agree on the "drumming is secondary" comment though, and I don't mean that in a mean way... still ... you have to love the fact that he's playing in 4/4, but turns the beat around constantly within the swing pattern. I also got a kick out of how he "pushes" at the crash cymbals, to the point of actually rocking one of the stands. Kind of a bizarre technique. But he's having fun!... and it is indeed a pretty rare set.

Tommyp

Posted on 13 years ago

I would definitely bookmark that phone number/email address ... just in case he gets a wild hair and decides to sell. He's kept it in very nice condition and it's aged extremely well. He appears to be a basement player and looks like he's having a good time of it all. I love that. It makes me very happy when people just enjoy the instrument. Looks to even have some nice Atlas stands. Very cool kit, indeed. Man, these are so rare.

Posted on 13 years ago

mcjnic!...

Quite! I do indeed still have his contact info... but since chatting with him, I grabbed a set of 1997 Ludwig's built for a Ludwig endorser who wanted a Buddy Rich set.. ( even though BR had passed away 10 years prior and wasn't a Ludwig endorser since 1980 ) .. and he decided to cut them loose last March. I bought them and have been gigging with them all year. I'm really enjoying them. Straight 6 ply maple shells, clear interiors, no rings... WMP... and complete 70's era Hercules hardware. This set sounds really nice, and the WMP WILL NOT YELLOW/FADE, even with repeated UV exposure... a major plus! By the way... a little side note for ya:

In one of the conversations I had with Bill Ludwig III.. ( B III ) .. I asked him WHY he thought there were so few of those Buddy Rich model sets with the modular hardware out there.. ( as I had been looking for awhile ) .. his answer made perfect sense actually, he said: Ludwig just didn't build that many! Reason for that was Buddy, while still popular, wasn't all that popular with the "younger crowd" of new drummers coming up... thus ... his signature model set wasn't that great of a seller... so Ludwig didn't build all that many. Fast forward to present day, and one has great difficulty finding a NICE one. I have come across more than a few, but had to discount all of them as they were in lousy/trashed condition. They are indeed rare... and that's the reason!

Tommyp

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here