Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 110.62213%

Buddy Rich Chavala(On Snare Drum Only)

I've never seen this until a few moments ago, Buddy Rich On Nothing But A Slingerland Buddy Rich Model Snare Drum This is Awesome!! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoroNJYi3Xo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

Unreal. . . .

Posted on 13 years ago

This performance is from November 22, 1969 at the "Talk of The Town". I have a full print of this concert in it's entirety, and if you think Buddy's performance of "Chavalah" is impressive.. ( which it is! ) .. his solo on "WSS" brought the crowd to it's feet. The audience was stacked with drummers this night and Buddy stepped it up... way up. An understatement. Notice if you will...

The Slingerland 4X14 COW Buddy Rich Model snare drum. Buddy played both the WMP and COW models of this drum, but preferred the COW and played it much more than the WMP model. I have both these drums in my collection. Also take note of a very young Pat LaBarbera with the Clark Kent glasses. Pat stayed with Buddy for years and was the main soloist.. ( tenor sax ) .. and of course played flute on "Chavalah".

Tommyp

Posted on 13 years ago

Tommy, thank you for that bit of Info, This just knocked me out, great stuff, can you post the other Video of "WSS" that you were speaking of?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

Hey Mark!...

I'm out the door for the day.. but upon my return I'll see if I can get a clip of the "WSS" solo up for you. There's also MORE to the story with Buddy this particular night/performance, and it's pretty humorous. When Buddy was "on", he could have done stand up... he's that funny. This night was one of those nights for that too... plus the house full of professional drummers, and Buddy introducing them one by one and having them stand up. Course every last one of them was in completely awe after BR's performance this night, including of course "Chavalah". Let me see if I can get a clip up... I'll be back!

Tommyp

Posted on 13 years ago

I always thought that tune was called, "Bolero". I must have it confused with another similar song. And boy that snare had a wonderful sound to it.

Posted on 13 years ago

every time I watch Buddy strut his stuff I want to burn my sticks, and sell my drums....magic....simply magic....

Posted on 13 years ago

Wow! Sublime.Bowing And my god that snare sounds beautiful!! Thanks for the great post vintagemore! I really enjoyed this.

Posted on 13 years ago

Hey Mark!...

Here's the clip of Buddy's solo on "WSS"... but before I do, a couple comments:

Texray1: You are actually correct... "Chavalah" was also referred to as "The Bolero"... but the actual name of the piece/chart is "Chavalah". Both are correct though!

This was November of 1969... BR had only been with Slingerland for 2 years and had stopped playing the BR Artist snare drum for the NEW Buddy Rich Model that Slingerland came out with, the 4X14 16 lug w/Zoomatic in WMP and COW. Slingerland didn't catalog or offer this drum to the public until 1970, so this was a new thing at the time. The snare drum made quite an impact and a lot of guys couldn't wait to order one. Buddy's "demonstration" of the drum during this performance pretty much sealed the deal... everybody had to have one! Interestingly, Buddy's Slingerland set was still pictured/cataloged with the #153 Buddy Rich Snare Drum and not the NEW #176 4X14 COW as Slingerland opted to not take new pics for the catalog. This model snare drum did get it's own full page in the catalog though.

The "Talk of The Town" was a club in England and Buddy and the band were on tour at the time. Buddy had a major problem with one of his teeth and had to go to a dentist to have it repaired. Well... turns out that just a numbing agent wasn't going to be enough so the dentist prescribed some "pain pills" to help with the soreness after the procedure. Buddy took them, and then had to go do this show at the club. He is clearly feeling no pain and is quite funny/witty and even makes mention of the fact that WOW... what did he give me?! His playing is of course... unaffected. Indeed. Absolutely stellar performance in spite of the dental procedure and the pain pills! Look closely... notice the Rogers Swivo-Matic bass drum pedal! Buddy loved the Swivo-Matic and kept it in place throughout a few different endorsements. Without any futher ado... the clip! Enjoy!!

Tommyp

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENRSN-SFdQI&feature=related[/ame]

Posted on 13 years ago

Tommy, thank you so much for posting this, thank you for the History lesson, and the overhead shot and the bass pedal shot way to cool!!Clapping Happy2

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here