Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Brushes?

What kind of brushes are people using?

For years I used the white handled Ludwig L195 brushes. I just got a pair (now black in color) from Steve Weiss Music - with shipping they were $28. They aren't bad but (unlike the clerk said) they are different than the original L195's - they're a little bigger in diameter and the surface is a rough rubber that I don't like. Overall I do like them and they are useable, they just aren't as good as the ones Ludwig made in the past. I do like that they are cadmium coated because cadmium is one of the best coatings to prevent rust.

Posted on 14 years ago

post deleted

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,

For the last few years I have been stuck on Jeff Hamilton brushes. They are louder than most wire brushes, though that is a matter of degrees.

I also use the purple handled Vic Firth's for the real purring stuff, and once in a while the white handled Vic Firth's.

I know I should be more adventurous in trying other models, just I have had bad luck over the years with exploding wires and don't want to revisit such events just to try out new brushes.

Patrick

Posted on 14 years ago

Remo rubber handle retractable.

-64 Ludwig Black Oyster Classic kit 22,13,16
-65 Leedy BDP 22,13,16
-65 Ludwig WMP Clubdate 20,12,14
-66 Ludwig Red sparkle Downbeat
-60's Gretsch RB Green Glass 22,13,16
Lots of cymbals, snares and orphans, old and newish
Posted on 14 years ago

Regal tip Clayton Cameron and Vater wooden handle, both fixed. I want to get some good retractables as the fixed get trashed in my stick bag.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks! Cool Dude

That gives me some ideas what to try next. The Vic Firth Steve Gadd bent ones look interesting too.

Posted on 14 years ago

Lucky's got an important point about how you store your brushes.

For me and my careless ways, stick bags don't work well for brushes. I currently used an old Yamaha Peter Erskine stand alone stick bag. The flat, rectangular set design works better for me when grabbing and replacing brushes on the fly.

Patrick

Posted on 14 years ago

I like the Clayton Cameron fixed brushes as well. They do last longer if you keep the plastic tube that they come in, and store them in it when not in use. The plastic tube does not last too long though. Regal tip retractables seem to be the most popular choice among the pros.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here