Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

broken up kits on ebay

hello there,

i've been looking at ebay for the first time in a few years and i'm just wondering why people are breaking up kits and selling drums individually?

so you'll see a whole kit listed but each drum is a seperate item.

just a random question.

thanks!

jt bates

minneapolis,
minnesota
www.jtbates.org
Posted on 18 years ago

Good question and one that has been a heated topic on many forums!

In some cases, the seller makes more money!

That is what drives people to do it and then others have hopped on board selling and parting rarer drums which in those cases will probably bring less money.

Splitting up a silver sparkle set might complete 4 other sets, but splitting up a rare finish has less of a demand then silver sparkle since less people are trying to find matching drums.

So it has back fired on some sellers that do not understand what they have.

Now with all that said there are exceptions to every rule and drums that you would never think should sell that high do, because two people have to have it at that moment in time.

There are also guys that take good drums and part them out down to the washers. Another heated topic for another time.

In the end sellers search Ebay and see others parting and splitting drums so they think it is a good idea and do the same thing.

Dealers, and most vintage collectors would never do it.

I hope that helps

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Neil Young sings a song, This Old Guitar, and how even though its his, its really not his, and someday will be passed on. I think thats relevant to the whole vintage drums being broken up, raped, stripped down and sold right down to the vent grommet by some individuals. Its a shame a kit that left the factory in 1964, with serial numbers within 100 digits of each other, that sat in the original owners basement/music room for over 40 years, ends up on ebay because somebody bought them in an estate sale for cheap, and in nothing more than the desire for a profit, they end up as parts. Great kits are being sucked into oblivion. Its a shame.

By the way, Neil owns and plays Hank William Sr.s 1950s Martin guitar. All that history.

Maybe it should be more sacred.

How in the hell did that little icon get in there?

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 18 years ago

I will go fix that!

When you use the word guitar -guitar- it replaces it automatically.

Other things like Yes Sir -Y@s Sir- and Cool -C00L- do the same thing.

Yes, I think Ebay is the cause of many things.

David

Old Guitar -oLD Geetar-

Posted on 18 years ago

thanks for your replies fellas. i appreciate it.

it really is too bad that anyone would break up any kit like that.

-thanks again

jt

jt bates

minneapolis,
minnesota
www.jtbates.org
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here