Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Breathing life back into a Radio King set

I bought a neglected RK set last summer and am starting to get around to getting it into playable condition. My goals are to make it playable and not do any repairs that will damage the integrity or collectability of the kit. First and foremost I want to play it. I doubt if it will ever leave my basement, but I hoping the sound will amaze me and elevate my playing.

When I got the set it was rescued from an old house that was falling down, so it was dirty, but thankfully dry, too dry, the wood hoops are cracked the re-rings in the snare are loose and can slide right out, there are several broken and cracked lugs, the steel hardware was corroded etc... not pretty but everything is there and seems repairable. So I far I've only cleaned them up and used simichrome on the hardware. I am thinking I should re-plate everything but the lugs and hoops, since I have the capabilities at work.

So starting with the floor tom, I still need to buy some Novus and polish the wrap, but want to address some other things first.

[IMG]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/46chief/Oldscool%20Slingerland/P8101095.jpg[/IMG]

The Wrap is lifting, I also wonder if it lifting the ply it's glued to. What should I glue it down with, was thinking gorilla glue since it seems to work on everything I've need to glue together.

[IMG]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/46chief/Oldscool%20Slingerland/ftomedge.jpg[/IMG]

Next up are the bearing edges. The areas around where the scarf from the plies are bonded, is porous and almost looks like it had filler previously. I was thinking I should fill some of this area in, with maybe a slurry of wood glue and sawdust, or just fill the area in carefully with superglue then sand it smooth.

There is also a darker harder inner plie that sticks up .5mm or so in places. It is high enough to catch my finger nail. I was thinking I could carefully sand the ridge down and clean up the whole bearing edge with a piece of 300 grit sandpaper.

Next where the lugs bolted through the shell the top bolt penetrates the re-ring and cracked and beat up the ring, I think I could leave this but... maybe some suggestions as to how some of you would approach this.

[IMG]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/46chief/Oldscool%20Slingerland/rering.jpg[/IMG]

I'm probably going to ignore this but the inner ply is buckling and I was considering softening the wood with steam and then injecting glue with a hypodermic needle, then apply clamps and see if I can secure it, seal it, and stop the lifting.

[IMG]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/46chief/Oldscool%20Slingerland/buckledply.jpg[/IMG]

Finally I think I should use some furniture wax and seal the whole drum especially the bearing edges. I think a wax is the best because it will protect against the humidity we have in WV.

Thanks for looking at all this and thanks for any suggestions, I've read a bunch of threads concerning repairs but before I do anything that can't be undone I want to hear some words of wisdom.

Posted on 12 years ago

I don't know how I missed this thread but I did. Really cool RK's~! What drums and sizes are they? Please post more pics too. ;)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

I remember seeing this kit and was considering it as I need the FT shell. Glad someone jumped on it.

From my wood working experience, gorilla glue is famous for expanding so I would avoid that and just use some yellow glue.

I'll be checking in on your progress. Look forward to seeing them brought back to life.

Good luck.

Posted on 12 years ago

From FFR428

I don't know how I missed this thread but I did. Really cool RK's~! What drums and sizes are they? Please post more pics too. ;)

The sizes are the snare is 14"X8", 13" tom 17" floor and 24"x16" Bass.

Heres my original thread, I thought I'd start a new one to show my progress or lack of...

I did clean up the FT and have it set up with my current kit, PDP rack tom and bass drum, RK floor tom and Dynasonic snare.

I'm going to refurb my Dynasonic next, then want to tackle the bass drum and need to find a 24" hoop with the inlay strip. I can use my old inlay just need the groove in the good hoop. I think I have enough lugs to complete the shell so it should just be a clean polish and tune operation.

One thing I am not sure of is what heads to buy for it I don't think calf skins will be good for me since the drums live in a humid basement in a rainy humid part of the country and my tuning skills and patience a re a bit lax.

I'll post pics of the FT soon

Posted on 11 years ago

Great set of Slingys!!

I'm liking the Evans 360 G2's on my RKs.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here