Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Brass King Beat?

I just saw an old Tama King Beat snare with a large section of the chrome plating gone. Looked like it was brass underneath--could that be right? I have a couple of King Beats and I don't believe either is COB.

Currently playing for loud rock and roll gigs:
1982 Ludwig Classic in white Cortex, 24-13-14-18 + Coliseum snare
For quieter gigs:
Early '70s Whitehall Tiger Eye Pearl 20-12-14-14
Neglected but thinking about:
Early '70s Sonor Champions in Rosewood, 22-12-13-16
Posted on 14 years ago

Ralf! DId this happen?

I think there may have been a very few KB snares available in the very late 60s, or early 70s.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Brass ...

I found two different metals as a translation for 'brass' ...

Brass: the yellowish alloy and

Brass: copper (in reddish colour).

Indeed, my KingBeat snare drum also has a reddish (= copper-ish) surface beneath the chrome plate. I discovered that in a small area inside of the shell. But I don't believe that it's a copper sheel totally. It's more just another surface protection against rust for the 'metal shell' (original wording in the Star/TAMA catalogues) beneath, which I believe is steel.

Furthermore: mine is magnetic.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes--this was definitely more coppery than brass colored. I'll take a magnet with me the next time and see if it sticks.

Currently playing for loud rock and roll gigs:
1982 Ludwig Classic in white Cortex, 24-13-14-18 + Coliseum snare
For quieter gigs:
Early '70s Whitehall Tiger Eye Pearl 20-12-14-14
Neglected but thinking about:
Early '70s Sonor Champions in Rosewood, 22-12-13-16
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here