Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Bottom Snare Hoop Without Snare Holes

Hey guys....had a question for anyone who ever had this same issue.

So, I'm restoring a 1959 Gretsch President Snare drum. GREAT drum, btw.

I needed a top and bottom hoop, but with only 6 lugs. Found a set of beautiful, and I mean beautiful vintage TAMA , DIE CAST hoops that fit perfectly and the tension rod holes match up exactly. So far so good.

Only one problem.....the bottom hoop has no hole to pass the snare strings.

So, I'm thinking how to overcome this problem. I cant drill a hole in the die cast hoop, its too big and hard (and I wouldnt ruin it anyway).

What I WAS thinking about was to simply drill a tiny hole in the outside rim of the bottom HEAD itself.

I only need a really tiny space to pass the snare strings thru. That should work, no?

any thoughts?

thanks!!

Posted on 13 years ago

Mark where the holes would go for the wires and take it to a local metal shop and have them drill the holes for you. The shop would have better equipment and would be able to drill and clean the holes properly.

OR

Locate the proper hoops. Ebay is a good start or just ask the guys here. Someone is bound to have a set or can point you in the right direction in finding them.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here