Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Boosey & Hawkes Ajax

Hello,

I got a 1920-1930's jax snare drum that has lugs with no spring in it but a cilindrical metal part (shaft). Some of these "shafts" are broken and need to be replaced. Does anyone know what these "shafts" are, if they are still produced/available and where I can find them?

Pics attaches.

Thanks

Posted on 7 years ago

Here are some pictures.

Posted on 7 years ago

You wont find new, the drum company was purchased by Premier You may need a donor shell.

It looks like a spring can be used. That thing just looks like something to rattle inside.Never saw it before, can`t figure it`s use either.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

I agree with odd ball that piece get rid. Replace with springs as that is what was in there originally. Springs easy enough to get hold of.

Posted on 7 years ago

From Blue Note

Here are some pictures.

Can you show us that thing in the lug how it goes ?

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello,

Here are pictures of this metal "shaft" inside a lug holding the two threaded nuts. These shafts are original, so there were no springs in the lugs at first.

These shafts grab around the nut, making a "click" noise when installed into the lug so they clamp and support the threaded nuts very well. Unfortunately this metal isn't very strong and bendable so the splittted ends break of easy. In the pic you can see oe of the ends has broken off.

Posted on 7 years ago

From Blue Note

Hello,Here are pictures of this metal "shaft" inside a lug holding the two threaded nuts. These shafts are original, so there were no springs in the lugs at first.These shafts grab around the nut, making a "click" noise when installed into the lug so they clamp and support the threaded nuts very well. Unfortunately this metal isn't very strong and bendable so the splittted ends break of easy. In the pic you can see oe of the ends has broken off.

Keep them with the drum because they are original. Without it, your top insert would drop into the casing.

I noticed the casing has no recess to slide the nut into to stop it from spinning. Just that spacer.

You may have to find a thin tube the same size, cut it to length, maybe grind it into shape with a thin wheel. Looks like Blued Steel.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here