Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Book suggestion

I would like to learn about makes/models/series of drums and want to know if you can suggest a book or books I can pick up. I know it takes years to learn what some of you already know. but I want to start somewhere....

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago

Here's a good one for you from my bud,, GUIDE TO VINTAGE DRUMS by john aldridge, Yes Sir

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

For a "starter", I'd suggest Harry Cangany's publication "The Great American Drums And The Companies That Made Them, 1920-1969."

I'm still amazed at how much useful information is contained in this extremely thin (72 pages) publication.

It will give you an excellent (IMHO) overview of the vintage American drum companies, the products they manufactured through the years, and detailed information regarding the respective makes and models.

There's also a Chapter on the "Most Collectible Snare Drums" and one on the "Distinguishing Features" of each company's products.

I found it extremely valuable and a very interesting read.

After finishing this one, you might want to focus on some publications focusing on the individual American drum manufacturers --Ludwig, Slingerland, Rogers, Gretsch, Leedy, etc.. I've got several of Rob Cook's publications which I've really enjoyed.

I'd strongly recommend that you also view the "Vintage Drum Guide" section of this forum. The information contained there seems endless. THANKS to all of our great moderators who've spent the time to organize and share their knowledge with the rest of us.

Happy reading and Happy New Year!

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks so much, looks like I wil have some reading material to keep me busy when I;m not gigging......

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago

I've heard tell that "The Currotto Collection" is quite a lovely-to-look-at book of rare snare drums.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

O-LUGS:

You are correct, sir, as usual regarding "The Currotto Collection."

I happen to have that one also. It definitely is great eye candy.

Unfortunately, "common Joe's" like me will never get their hands on any of the drums pictured in that publication unless we hit the Lotto (lol)!

The photography is outstanding!

Posted on 14 years ago

Ditto on what the others have said. The Harry Cangany stands out in giving a quick overview to all the American drum companies. And the online resources here are excellent (the DrCJ stuff you won't find in any book). The book devoted to Slingerland by Rob Cook is here: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Slingerland-Book-Rob-Cook/dp/1888408103/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262407597&sr=1-2[/ame] (you can check out some of the content). I have an earlier version of the book which is a bit disorganized, but I think the current version is supposed to be improved.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here