Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Bollero Drum Pix

Are these Pearl or Tama?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey, cool wrap. These drums look pretty clean.

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 14 years ago

Confusion reigns...it looks like you have 2 types of tom holders. The original that would have a blade/clip and the other one that Ralf pointed out, the Free-o-matic. Let's see some better pix of the rail and mounting hardware. And where is the tom? Is this a 22-16-13? Those look like 6 or 9 ply, so it could be either. The lugs on the bass will be a good indicator. You have one of the Pearl "everything" 80s lugs and the rest ore the thinner Sling copies. hhmmm, we need a good look at the lugs, without a flash, and the strainer and snare lugs. Let's see em! The bass lugs are throwing me off because you have a flash on them. Do you know how to turn off the flash? There should be a button on top that you can press, it will have a lightening bolt on it.

In any event, we need better pix to get to it, and Ralf is right, those are newer, into the 70s. That much I can almost gaurantee because if the sticker badge. Do they sound like the thick lauan shells are supposed to?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

The 1st pic is the 13 and im aware there are 2 lug types,the batter side being the originals.The wrap has not faded at all,looks the same under the hoops.I had no idea what i getting for my old 505 Paiste 20"ride,but i have lots of pies im not using.Now i have lots of drums im not using!..Those MIJ tubs are TOO affordable!...I have,nt played these yet but the floor tom is thunderous after i tuned it up,and it is a 13,16,22..no snare.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

I figured it would,nt generate much interest...This gear is QUITE confusing,.Violin

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

To me that set is Not made by Star,Its a set made by Pearl all the lugs on the bass,floor tom and the top half of the 13" are Pearl--If you remove one of the lugs it will say Pearl inside if it..Yes the set is made from about 1970-74 when pearl stop useing that style of lugs on the inported non pearl sets...Tom mount would be the rail mount with a L-arm with a flat tom mount on the tom to me someone added the Hex mount parts to the tom mount also added the tom mount on the tom to match the hex parts they added..Any extra holes on the mounted tom?? The right tom mount would have 4 holes the one on the drum now only use 2 holes with a bigger hole in middle so the hex bar would fit...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Do you think its odd that the kick has 10 lugs per side and the 16 has 8??

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

From wayne

Do you think its odd that the kick has 10 lugs per side and the 16 has 8??

Oddd...? Yes, but in those days, it was all about taking the eyes off the details and showing some flash. where these were concerned. I remember the ads, and the Sears display. They really touted the flashy wraps and the extra bells and whistles. I recall one setup at a Sears store, it had a ton of cymbals, all covering up the main show, and they were the rolled cold brass type, just a bunch of noise makers. Even then I thought how harsh they sounded.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

After having a look at the pics I reject my earlier opinion: this is not a STAR drumset.

Furtheron: my guess on the production year maybe correct, but that was given BEFORE having seen the pics. This brand 'Bollero' is not very familiar to me.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

The shells on this kit are 5 ply,but the bass drum is 3 ply.This is a strange one for sure,but i think its going to sound great.Im just picking up that vibe from it...I took the Star kit out last week and it sounded powerful,loads of tone and resonance....beautiful sound,even the COS impressed me,which they usually dont.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here