Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Blue Tiger Pearl non-badged MIJ

Newest addition.

Friend of ours that worked at a local music store had a customer bring this in looking to sell it. As it's an "unknown" stencil, they advised him it was virtually without value with the exception of the newer hardware (iron cobra pedals etc). The shell pack was then parted in two ways: 2 employees split it between them and then, after sitting in the one's basement for two years, he decided he had no use for it and so gave it to us in order to give it new life (so now both my boys have 2 sets each.....lol). What was interesting was to learn that this, as a whole kit, was originally a set with double bass drums with (I don't know how many) multiple toms. So of the original kit, we have a 20" bass drum, 12 inch tom and 16 inch floor tom. The original owner clearly took very good care of it as the wrap is in exceptional condition with only one small bubbling spot at one of the floor tom's lugs.

No extra holes, no delaminating of the shells (thick ply with that Gastly grey paint job inside) even it's accompanying snare looks like its nearly new.

Posted on 2 years ago

That's a great Pearl kit from about 1969! If it was a double-bass set, it was most likely the one pictured, which was the "Big-Shot Outfit". It also featured Pearl's best lugs and tom arms!

I was amused by the music store saying "it was virtually without value with the exception of the newer hardware"!

The finish is actually called "Blue Grain Pearl", which is one that I really like! Congrats on bringing this wonderful 60's MIJ Pearl set back to life!

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

I was amused by the music store saying "it was virtually without value with the exception of the newer hardware"!

So was I :)

Posted on 2 years ago

So when we went to pick these up, I hadn't seen them yet and honestly figured I'd be looking at a red sparkly Raven or something like that. I had no idea they would be wrapped in such a beautiful finish

It was late at night, outside and these just looked absolutely amazing! Anyways, I'd figured someone would have been able to identify them based on the double bass configuration they were in. I actually know the guy who took the other half, he's since fallen off of social media and so I no longer really have a way to reach out and see if there's a way to get the other half back from him, somehow.

So am I understanding that this is essentially a '69 Pearl without badges? From what I've seen in the '69 catalogue, everything sure seems to point to that - even the snares details..... And yes, the hardware did impress me. Heck I even have an old "Snappy Snare" packaging.

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Just finished cutting new bearing edges. Youngest son and I headed into Long and Mcquade to pick up new skins all around. Since these are my youngest's new(est) kit he chose them: emperor batters with ambassador resonant heads. A power stroke 4 b-drum head and (I can't remember) some Evans res head.

They now sound amazing!!!

Posted on 2 years ago

Well a 69 pearl could be any of dozens of stencil brands. I have a set of Whitehalls virtually identical to those, and also another stencil of a different badge as well. As far as them being nearly worthless, that's total bs. They obviously have zero knowledge of the market for these. I used to buy old MIJ kits like those for like $50-75 a set ten years ago, but since then, there has been a significant nostalgia awakening or something. I see them regularly going for anywhere from $250 to $400 and more even unbranded. I sold two unbranded 60's era 3 piece kits last spring. One for $250 and one for $350. A king's ransom it's not, but it's far more than being worthless.

From Bradford523

So when we went to pick these up, I hadn't seen them yet and honestly figured I'd be looking at a red sparkly Raven or something like that. I had no idea they would be wrapped in such a beautiful finish It was late at night, outside and these just looked absolutely amazing! Anyways, I'd figured someone would have been able to identify them based on the double bass configuration they were in. I actually know the guy who took the other half, he's since fallen off of social media and so I no longer really have a way to reach out and see if there's a way to get the other half back from him, somehow.So am I understanding that this is essentially a '69 Pearl without badges? From what I've seen in the '69 catalogue, everything sure seems to point to that - even the snares details..... And yes, the hardware did impress me. Heck I even have an old "Snappy Snare" packaging.

Georgia Phil Custom Drumworks
https://www.GeorgiaPhil.com

Drum Wrap, Drum Heads, Drum Accessories
https://www.StuffForDrummers.com
Posted on 2 years ago

most of that kit looks just like my old Tempros....which were Pearl stencils.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

[QUOTE=MutantMozart;473647]I have a set of Whitehalls virtually identical to those, and also another stencil of a different badge as well.

I was just about to respond saying I was nearly certain I had a Whitehall kit in this color. Sure enough, it seems you did too. Mine was a smaller kit of 20, 12, 14, configuration with a matching snare. I remember thinking that it had sound right up there with the big boys. I didn't have it long, but it was a very nice little kit. My recollection was that it had different tension casings, but it could be my memory is faded as it was probably at least 25 years ago.

Posted on 2 years ago

I recently bought an old Maxwin kit in mint condition only because it was NOS and very inexpensive, but let me say these drums are every bit as pro sounding as anything you have.......dont tell anyone though, we have to keep the price down!!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 2 years ago

From wayne

I recently bought an old Maxwin kit in mint condition only because it was NOS and very inexpensive, but let me say these drums are every bit as pro sounding as anything you have.......dont tell anyone though, we have to keep the price down!!

I couldn't agree with you more. We have 4 kits in the house. A PDP maple X7, Yamaha Power V Special....then a late 60's stencil Capri (8 lug toms and 10 lug 22" be) then this latest. The two modern kits sound great, no question. But once I levelled and cut new bearing edges these two "cheap" kits absolutely sing! The Capri kit wound up being used on my son's band's debut album and sounds AMAZING!

Now to find some other cool stencil to add to the arsenal.....

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here