Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Blue Sparkle Apollo Kit, is it worth it?

Hi gang,

On our local CL there is a Blue Sparkle Apollo kit for sale for cheap.

I'm thinking about grabbing it as a second set.

12/13/14/16/20, with snare stand, spurs and "mostly" complete.

Looks to be missing the bottom hoops on the mounted toms, has no lugs or hoop for the bottom of the FT (no holes either) and has some rust on the FT legs.

The Mounted tom arm has been jerry rigged but appears to have not been butchered.

Looks like the bottom edges of the toms have an aluminum/chrome tape on them and I can see some of the tension rods have been replaced with screws.

Is it worth saving?

Posted on 13 years ago

appears to be the "double tom" set seen here:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/apollo_catalogs/apollo_flyer2-6.jpg

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi

I think pretty well any drum is worth saving. If it's "cheap" like you say it sounds like a good deal. I have a beautiful Apollo snare drum in Red Sparkle I bought on eBay a while back - it's a nice little drum. I like the badge too.

I don't know how easy it would be to find the proper parts for your kit but I'm sure the folks on this site would have an idea regarding that. Mine needed a throw arm and I was able to get one from a member on this forum at a good price - no barganing - just here it is for this amount of $$$ = good deal.

If you can find all the right parts and can bring it back to playing condition I'd say go for it.

Posted on 13 years ago

This is just me,but when i get a hold of very cheap MIJ drums i clean and fix and give them away to local kids,schools,etc.I would,nt do that with my Gretsch but i do feel good just passing along to a smiling face...sorry for the intrusion.:2Cents:

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Wayne, thats an excellent point as well!

It is cheap.. like $80 cheap.

Gary, I agree! My current Ludwigs were literally left on the curb, so Im all about giving neglected drums another life.

Im gonna go check it out, if the shells are solid and its not totally knackered I'll grab it.

I would rather take it out to play at friends houses then my luddy's.

I will report back.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here