Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Blue Oyster Super Classic?

Hey out there VDF folks,

Here is my new kit. As far as I can tell it's a blue oyster kit(20/13/16 and Supra) that basically has a lot of green hues in the finish. I got these off the original owner who bought them off the floor sometime in 65-66? He played a lot of gigs and this man really cared about his gear and these drums. My first question is what makes a Ludwig Super Classic kit?-is it always the configuration of 22/13/16? Another thing I'm wondering is the serial numbers-this kit was bought as a set but the BD has no serial number on the tag-the 13" is 100898 and the FT is 143884. The snare is 304445 so obviously came later. Was it normal around the start of serial numbers to have a preserial tag I.E no numbers with a matched kit? All the interiors and wrap are aged identically and all have the BB bat mufflers however the tom has a square red felt and the FT is a square white felt. All the tom mounts and BD mounts are cast with the wing nut(no eye bolts) This appears to be a factory kit but would'nt the serial numbers be consecutive? I've included some pics. Any help would be appreciated on the serial number question and if the SKB came in different hues as this one almost appears green possibly due to aging?

as always many thanks for all the advice I've received over the past year....I'd give some back but you guys always beat me to the punch!

Posted on 14 years ago

The bass drum is likely a '63. The tom with red felt is a late '63/early '64.

The FT is likely a 1965.

The finish does match nicely. It would be somewhat difficult to consider it a truly "matched" set with those badge numbers....but it could have been sold that way in a music shop.

Just FYI....You can tap into the great resource of this forum by clicking on the Vintage Drum Identification source at the top of each page on this website. See it? It's right up there^^^!:D

Also: Yes, a Super Classic is a 13/16/22 -usually with a Supraphonic snare.

And: Yes, your Oyster Blue Pearl wrap has faded and that's why the color is now the way it is.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here