Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Black Ludwigs

I have in my possession, a set that consists of a 13 Ludwig Classic tom with a B/O badge date stamped 75 (if I remember correctly), a 16 Ludwig Classic floor tom with a Keystone badge date stamped 74 (again, if I remember correctly), and a 22 inch bass drum that is a B/W badge Rocker. I'm guessing the guy that had them rewrapped the toms to match the bass (and did a very poor job). The badge grommets are cut off at the ends (on the inside). The toms have re-rings. They are 3 ply, I think. I'ts been a while since I have even looked at them (they are in my parents' basement about an hour away in cases). So here's what I am thinking:

Buy Classic lugs for the bass drum and 2 Keystone badges and install new grommets. Sand the shell interiors and re-lacquer them. Take the crappy covers off all the drums. Sand the fire out of them, and then..........and then: do a jonnistix glitter job on the and get them as close to a Ludwig Orange Glitter as possible. Perhaps a black base with a gold glitter.

Or I could just sell them.

The question I have is: someone probably ruined the value of the toms by rewrapping them and taking the muffles out and putty-ing over the holes, right? I have nothing to lose, right?

Custom refin 80's era Ludwig rockers

Black rewrap 60's and 70's Ludwig classic mutt kit 12,16,22

Late 70's Ludwig Classic Maple

Ludwig Coliseum,Acrolite,and some weird supro/acro hybrid
Posted on 14 years ago

The lugs on the Rocker bass drum will be a different hole pattern than the large classic lugs if they are the Rocker II/Standard style lugs. The hole spacing would be 2 3/16" on the rocker lugs. Large classics would be 1 11/16"

This could be an issue, unless you drill and fill extra holes and don't mind doing so....

Posted on 14 years ago

OK here we go 1974 would be blue olive badges not keystone, so you can put what ever badges float your boat! any time you re-wrap considerable devaluation is done!! sounds like you have a great players kit here, so if that's what your needing them for then do the necessary work to them, you can sell them but you won't get much out of them the color your choosing Isn't a Ludwig color but if your going use them to gig with who cares!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From LoveLuds

do a jonnistix glitter job on the and get them as close to a Ludwig Orange Glitter as possible. Perhaps a black base with a gold glitter. I have nothing to lose, right?

First of all, that is cool to have it done and it is really simple. Second, Ludwigs that look orange are really a faded Gold Sparkling Pearl. I learned that in my infancy of investigating vintage drums. Looks great, but it is really gold. So, orange glitter looks great and it is soo much cheapoer than wrap, it is easy to repair, and lasts. However, it is fairly permanent....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here