Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Black Ludwig Acrolite B/O badge???

I am considering pulling the trigger on this mid 80's Ludwig Rocker kit, but I have some questions for the experts here first! I think I can get the kit for $250 with a B/O Acrolite and cheap cymbals and stands. Can you guys tell me if these are the good 6 ply shells? They look like nice drums in the pics even though the sizes are a little deep for my tastes!

The weirdest thing about this kit is the Acrolite though. Has anyone every seen a Black Galaxy with B/O badge or is this a home-done black paint job? It doesn't look too shiny thats for sure. I thought the B/O badges were rounded over by the mid-late 80's and then replaced with the B/W badges with rounded over corners as the "Black Galaxy" Acrolites came out in 94.

Please tell me what you think. I am thinking he painted it. Look at the badge though...he did a good job taping it off if he painted it.

Any help would be mega appreciated.

Thanks guys!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry. Here are the pics! Also...does anyone know if these kits came with steel bass drum hoops? Looks like steel to me in this pic. I think this would look kinda sweet with some new maple hoops.

-Ad

Posted on 14 years ago

Other than the snare, I don't know, but the Acro is definitely a 70s with an after market paint job.

Posted on 14 years ago

Found out that the shells are 4 ply maple/select north american hardwoods/select north american hardwoods/maple and that the B/W badges started in 1984 on the Rocker series. Seems based on the tom mount that these might be the "Rocker II" Series from 1988?

Seems like it would be a fine sounding kit.

Anyone hear these and think they suck? Should I run the other way?

Ad

Posted on 14 years ago

If I'm reading everything correctly, you can pick up a late 80's maple Ludwig drumset, with an Acrolite snare drum, and cheap hardware/cymbals for $250. That's a good deal. My first drumset was a '84 Ludwig Rocker (still have it). Decent drums, not great, but, for $250, you will not get burned. The scary part, 10 years from now, that time period might be collectable.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 14 years ago

Its hard to tell from the pics but that tom mount looks like the older ones before they went to the modular hardware.

Posted on 14 years ago

gotta tell ya. those look great. if i had the chance i would snatch those up. they have a great rock and roll look and great sizes. i assume they are 12,13,16,18, toms.

"Time fly's like an arrow. fruit fly's like a banana"
Posted on 14 years ago

I think they are 12/13/14 (8 Lug...supposed to be mounted) and 16 floor. I don't know. How bad do I want another drumset? Ok....how bad do I NEED another drumset?

Dude says that the snare is a "Black Galaxy" snare. This seems impossible right?

Any theories?

Ad

Posted on 14 years ago

That snare is definitely NOT the "black galaxy" acrolite. The finish is too matte. My acro sparkles with the slightest bit of light and none is present in the camera flash. The other thing is the throw off. Mine doesn't have the black paint on it, however my snares from the 70s/80s do.

Regardless, it is an acrolite and no matter what color it is, it will sound good.

lvd

looking for Ludwig Black Panther 8" concert tom
Posted on 14 years ago

From Adam_Cargin

I think they are 12/13/14 (8 Lug...supposed to be mounted) and 16 floor. I don't know. How bad do I want another drumset? Ok....how bad do I NEED another drumset?Dude says that the snare is a "Black Galaxy" snare. This seems impossible right?Any theories?Ad

Pick them up. Even if you clean the acro and sell it, there's $100-$125. So now you've got $125 into the drumset. Hardware aloone is worth it. It looks as tho someone has pulled the covering off of these Rockers as I don't believe they were offered in a natural maple. Either way, they are good sounding drums.

Do it!!!

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here