Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Black Friday ROGERS Find! Project!!

As is usual when we go back to Illiana, I hit the local CL and visit local music shops when time allows. My son and I stopped in a favorite shop in Southwestern Indiana that I have done business with before. The guy has a great backroom filled with awesome old kits - Vistalites, Zickos, Slingerland RK, everything that will always be out of my price range. My son the explorer asks if he can poke around the *back* back room - no lights, tarps covering all sorts of gear, etc. Upon given approval, he quickly calls out - 'Dad, get back here' - and he surfaces with this little gem of a 3 piece project.

Rogers 20-14-12 in nearly unrecognizable BDP. 5 ply shells. Two flat grey interiors, one speckled. Only one partial tag remains.

Was able to come to terms on a fair price, given that it clearly appeared a re-wrap was in order, and re-rings need clamped, and so many parts are missing, and, and, and... you get the drift.

After a bit of research, it appears this is a Rogers ORBIT kit, since it has the novel 12x20 bass. The tag on the 14 shows a 287XX serial, so the guides I've seen point to late 1963 timeframe (cool, since I also am a late 1963 model!). The 1960 and '62 catalogs both show the ORBIT kit, but with B&B lugs. I didn't see the ORBIT kit in the '64 catalog, when they had made the transition to beavertail. So perhaps this kit is transitional?

As someone who has always collected TAMA as a reasonably-priced avenue into future-vintage great drums, I've always felt I would never be able to afford cool American-made kits, as there is so much recognition keeping prices out of my reach. Super-stoked to be working on this project!

John/levelpebble

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 8 years ago

Congratulations! Sizes are sweet esp. 12X20 bass drum! I wouldn't be too quick to re-wrap those, though granted I haven't seen em in person. Green oyster pearl man! That's gotta be unique...! :)

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

I agree with Mitch...Try buffing and polishing the wrap first before you decide to remove it...You may be surprised on the outcome!!

Nice project and I`m sure you will be happy with the end result...Good luck to you and keep us posted of the progress...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 8 years ago

There is something about the way those faded that almost looks ok. Maybe it's just the photograph? What is the city and shop you picked these up in? I assume it's the Indiana, Illinois border by your description.

Nice score!

Curtis

Posted on 8 years ago

Awesome score. Your son did very well at spotting those. I've found some gems in those back rooms myself, always a gem if you have the time and desire to dig.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Awesome find..

As mentioned ,...maybe keep the wrap on...

Try the sanding method...there's a post on here that will spell out how it's done..

I watcheda video on it last year on here...it was used for a WMP.

Maybe clamp and reglue the Rerings (if needed)...maybe check the bearing edges..? (Recut)?

After that...

Soak all the hardware in Dawn soap for a day or two...

Once everything is put back on...

Use Novus #3 to polish, it'll fill in the wrap......

then Novus #1 for the final buff...for a finishing shine..

#1 Novus also works on the hardware...(after its clean from the dawn dish soap.)

Trust me...I've done this to a 67 Rogers..in BDP...(22/16/13)

All the best, great find on the 20x12...& the 14"....

Is the 14 .........a 14x14 or 14x16"?

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 8 years ago

Nice find. I wouldn't strip the drums and re wrap them. ( but they may look different in person ) x2 on the green oyster pearl!

Posted on 8 years ago

Excellent score. The odd sizes and all make it even better!

I want a Rogers kit so bad!

I almost had a similar thing happen today at GC.

A guy was trying to trade two stencil MIJ kits and a Taiwanese kit for a used Sonor Martini kit. They wouldn't give him the time of day!

He had a gold sparkle Stewart 13/16/22 and a red strata Crown 12/14/20 with matching snare and a footlocker full of original hardware!

It's too bad I swore off Japanese kits. Not because I don't like them but because I would be a hoarder if I didn't draw the line somewhere.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 8 years ago

Darn, the crown with matching snare & hardware would have been worth checking out,,,

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 8 years ago

clubdate64 - GC is a joke as far as I am concerned. I have officially written them off. They have no clue about the real market, they go by ebay for trades. Which in itself isn't necessarily bad, but ebay does not reflect the whole of the market. Certainly doesn't show the true market for MIJ drums.

Last time I did business with them was two years ago. Placed an order for parts,paid up front. Wrong parts had been ordered, they finally contacted me after 6 months, and when I told them they ordered the wrong parts - the store manager told me they couldn't order what I wanted. No refund, no offer for store credit, nothing....

One post over at the pearl forum, my parts were sent out same day from Pearl.

Would have loved to have seen the crown kit with matching snare and hardware.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here