Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Black Beauty / Steel "BR" late seventies

I just came from a music store where I came across (what looked to be) a standard 70's 6.5 inch chrome ludwig snare drum with the blue-olive badge (Bohnam type). The owner told me it was actually a 70's black beauty that had been finished differently. He said it was rare. I asked him for the proof and he showed me a little stamp that said "BR" right by the muffle that supposedly meant the only thing different from this snare and a Black Beauty is the out side color. Has anyone heard of this? Is it cool?

Posted on 17 years ago

I believe the "BR" means that the drum is brass. It wouldnt mean Buddy Rich.

-Don

Posted on 17 years ago

If it's less than $500 and in nice shape, you should buy it.

Posted on 17 years ago

If I remember correctly. Todd Trent told me that the late 1970's Black Beauty's that are in great shape, go for around $2000.00. I'd buy it too for $500. Here's a pic of Rick Allen of Def Leppard with his late 70's Black Beauty.

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

I recently bought that same snare drum on ebay for a BIN of $400 and re-sold it for a bit over $600. Mine had the badge with the rounded corners, it was a 6.5" chrome and it had the "BR" behind the tone control knob.

The black ones will sell for more, because of the color; the engraved drums will get a couple grand (even for these '70s models).

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here