Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Bison Drum Company

Just wondering if this brand of drum has any "collectible" value or is a desirable brand in the vintage drum market?

Thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi. They might be collectible because some of the models (the "Volcano" series) are unusual. They incorporate some unusual and original components. They are not "vintage" drums, however.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Yes,far from vintage.From what i know,the owner wont sell parts as he feels he has something NO ONE else has,and if he suspects you,re a builder ...forget it.I dont know anyone who owns or has played one of thier drums.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 16 years ago

I grew up going to Mitch's shop way back when... There used to be a big dog that would hang out and he had some of the best vintage stuff at that time... He had a falling out with the vintage community and just did not get into the scene and ho things were happening...

I visited the shop a few years back and purchased two snare drums from him.. I sold one on Ebay and made a few bucks and kept the other one.

The drums are unique and so is how he builds them... The lugs are connected at one point and he does not use any type of wrap on his shells since the tension gets so high...

The hoops are amazing and it is one of my favorite drums.. You can remove a lug and it will not affect the sound of the drum. They are excellent for rim shots and rim clicks..

The thing is most people think they are not aesthetically pleasing, but they are built for sound and abuse...

He is eccentric to say the least and yep, he will not sell parts, but that is probably the best thing for him and he does not want his parts on drums which he would consider inferior to his products...

You have to understand that he is very strong in his beliefs of drum building and also how a drum should sound...

I still like talking to him and hearing his stories.. Many of his high end orchestra snares come with his own strainer and they are played by symphonies all over the world...

Since he is the owner/builder, once he decides to stop or he moves on, then his drums will go up in value...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I knew Mitch when he lived out this way (SF Bay Area)...I'll always remember that he found me the exact OBP 14x14 floor tom...my set was the Ludwig Blue Note outfit in OBP 12, 13, 16, 18 toms (May 1965)...he finds me a 14x14 from May 1965! I talk to him regularly and he's also found a few choice vintage snare drums for me...he has great stories too!

Mike Curotto

Posted on 16 years ago

Any photo's available. Based on the (hazy) description I would love to see one.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Posted on 16 years ago
Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks....I suppose these babies are expensive......

Back in the mid 80's, BEFORE I became interested in vintage drums I lived in Niles, Ill, right in the heart of old Ludwig and Slinderland land......and about 30minutes from Wheeling......wish I knew then what I know now............

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here