Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

big question - to strip or not to strip ? (shell interiors, that is)

Hi all !

As I'm steeped in my Ludwig Standard (blue strata) restoration I have landed on what I think is a big question ... do I leave the white painted interior alone or strip and either lacquer/poly/whatever or repaint?

I know that some might say that it devalues an items value to have it non-original. I have also seen that many many folk embark on stripping their reso-coated shells. So ... does this devalue a kit? Markedly? Is there any empirical evidence of this? Do you look down on a kit that has been either stripped or repainted?

I have looked around this forum and other places and have found precious little info on this question. If it's there and I'm overlooking it please feel free to direct me there. Otherwise, let's chat about this. Thanks!

-Doug

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

Unless it is so dirty it can't be cleaned I would clean it and leave it. I'm not a collector but there is definitely a general rule that original is be$t.

Mitch

Posted on 7 years ago

Yeah, I sort of figured. I used mild soap and water and then a magic sponge on the bass drum last night. It's better and it was pretty gross but I guess it'll do. The anal retentive part of me does not want to leave it looking crappy but if original is best then I guess I'll leave it be. Thanks Mitch.

-Doug

Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

When I buy drums, I much prefer the interiors to be original. I've gotten a few in which the drums had been nested and scratched. I just gave them a good cleanup like you did and left it alone. I think with a repaint, potential buyers might wonder what was under there/why it had to be repainted. I have only repainted two interiors and that was because someone had painted them black,back in the day.

Mike

Posted on 7 years ago

One key consideration might be; Why was the interior painted white by the manufacturer to begin with? If you remove it, will you defeat that purpose? Will you be making a change that will enhance the drum's performance for you and/or future users? As to value, I don't think you would negatively affect the value of a set of Ludwig Standards a great deal unless you have a catalog kit in very original condition or finished in one of the more unusual colors like lemon strata.

I had a nice set of Camcos (20,12,14) that had been re-wrapped and the interiors stripped to natural maple and lightly refinished before I got them. The wrap was a cheap and very thin version of aqua satin flame that had wrinkled from the lugs shifting position, was ripped at the seams and otherwise looking very bad. So I had new burgundy sparkle applied and left the interiors as they were. They sold overnight and I think I undersold them at $1600 about 5 years ago. I don't think the missing interior paint had any impact on the value. The missing original wrap probably did, but I have no idea what that might have been anyway.

Posted on 7 years ago

As to value, I don't think you would negatively affect the value of a set of Ludwig Standards a great deal unless you have a catalog kit in very original condition or finished in one of the more unusual colors like lemon strata.

Hmmm, very interesting opinion, Dan. My kit is Blue Strata in fair condition (wrap that is).

My only experience with a poject like this is with my Ludwig Pioneer snare that I stripped (it was a total basket case when I got it) and I ended up using tung oil on the mahogany interior and it ended up sounding better and I still use it to this day.

Thanks again for the opinions guys.

-Doug

Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

Try using furniture cleaner/restorers first.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

If you remove the white, you may expose imperfection in the build such as joints, fillers, or knots in the wood. Usually not good for clear finishes.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

Good point OddBall. One of those things you wouldn't know until you took off the paint.

-Doug

Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here