Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Best way to restore Ludwig hi hat foot boards?

Has anyone discovered a way to get the Spur Lok footboards really clean and shiny? I have an NOS one that is bright -- almost looks like a clear lacquer finish has been added.

The BEST thing would be to be able to soak them in a cleaner, but I doubt that exists? Media blasting with glass beads or Walnut shells?

I used my wire wheel and Mother's polish... it looks much better, but incosistent (mostly due to the wheel size and the angles of approach).

Ideas are welcome!

Posted on 13 years ago

I usually use a small brass bristle brush that looks a lot like a tooth brush. I get into the nooks and crannies using a rotating motion rather than a scrubbing motion. gets all of the crud that doesn't come off with cleaners and actually shines it up a bit. Once it is clean then you can use a good metal polish.

glass beads will slightly abrade the surface leaving you with a matte finish.

Walnut shells will be much gentler but will alter the surface slightly.

I have never used it but I have been told that plastic blasting media will make die cast parts look almost new. You still will have to so some polishing to get it shiny again.

You should only need to do this if it is really crusty and has a lot of blemishes.

Just remember the more you rough up the surface, the more work it will take to get it smooth enough to polish again.

Posted on 13 years ago

I appreciate the idea of the BRASS bristle brush -- less abrasive. The wire wheel has already exposed some imperfections in the casting - not pitting, exactly, but some rough spots.

I may call a custom motorcycle place to ask about the plastic blasting.

It's crazy to be going for the 'perfect' finish, but I'm sure some of y'all have been in the same boat.

Posted on 13 years ago

Incidentally, the new "Camco Anniversary" / Tama pedal has a media roughened foot board

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here