Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Best way to clean/polish matte lacquer shells?

Greetings,

I've posted this question on here previously, but I wanted to revisit it again. I just picked up a used matte lacquer Dixon fuse kit that needs some cleaning. What methods do you use for this?

When working with matte lacquer in the past I've used just plain water to clean off the dirt and then Johnson's Paste Wax to polish the shell. I've done this on a couple of different matte lacquer kits, but the Paste Wax always leaves the shells splotchy looking. It makes it look like there are some spots that I forgot to buff the wax off, even though I buffed it off 30 times. It's like the wax "takes" better on different parts of the shell, even though the shell finish is sealed and uniform.

On wrap kits and gloss lacquer kits I have my "system" down cold, but matte lacquer is a different animal. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

V

Posted on 5 years ago

I don't think your supposed to polish matte finishes at all.

The matte finish is kind of rough, with tiny, I'm guessing microscopic, ridges that diffuse light, and that gives it its dull look. When you polish it, you take those "ridges" out and I think that's why you see those splotchy areas. You probably rubbed harder in those splotchy areas and smoothed out the paint, thus making it shine a bit. No amount of buffing will fix that, and it is probably making it worse by taking out more ridges.

Posted on 5 years ago

This looks like an ideal topic for member jccabinets!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here