Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Best Spurs for a 20 Club Date

I have a 20 inch Luddy Club Date bass and I'm debating on the spurs. I tried the wings and didn't like them. Because of the Club Date lug positioning, it made the wings too short for the bass and they barely touched the ground. I'm open to suggestions. I've got a set of the thin curved spurs but am not sure if they are long enough to be positioned correctly. I would have to drill in order to find out....not that brave. I checked out the Danmar bass hoop clip mounts, but they seem like they might line up with the lugs/t's. They don't adjust. I honestly don't know which way to proceed. I'm considering Rogers swivo, but that would require some serious drilling...ouch. Please, help a geek. Does anyone have an idea or a set of spurs that might work? Have any of you tried the curved Luddy thin spurs with a Club Date? If those work, I'm home free. Let me know what you think.

Posted on 14 years ago

Is it an 8-lug drum? I would think you could position them to work. How authentic are you trying to be? I'm sure there is a 20" kick with these spurs somewhere considering all of the crazy things that have come out of the Ludwig factory...

Put the drum up on a workbench and hold the spurs along the front head/edge to eye things up, you should be able to decide how they'll fit from there...

I'll talk you thru drilling if you're that nervous.. I've made several custom drums/kits

Just remember .. measure twice, get ready to drill... take a drink....measure again and take another drink ..... one more drink...... ah, what the heck, drill!!

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

It's not a fear that stops me from drilling. It's that this is an old drum. I really don't like the idea of putting holes in these things.

I have thought of checking the curved spurs alignment on the bench. But for any of us who have used these things know that they don't make a nice smooth curve in and out when you tighten them down. They flair out. That's a measurement you can't see. That's also something that stops me from eyeballing this one. Too much varience.

Posted on 14 years ago

How modern are you willing to go? There are a few more 'modern' versions that would work....

Posted on 14 years ago

Something off of this page like the medium or light duty versions...

https://www.drumfoundry.com/c-44-bass-drum-spurs.aspx

Posted on 14 years ago

I wouldn't drill it if I were you. Try using the spurs and spur mounts you have. I actually think the wing spurs work pretty well but YMMV. If the spurs are too short and you don't care about modifying them a little, you can put them in a vise (or is it vice) and unbend them a bit (i.e. make them somewhat straighter) to make them slightly longer.

The reason they seem too short may be simply that they have been bent up over the years, so straightening them a bit may make them MORE original.

Posted on 14 years ago

These spurs are brand new. They are not bent up. The holes were drilled just a bit too high. No worries. I just can't seem to get this solved without resorting to drilling and I really hate to think about that.

Posted on 14 years ago

Any way to extend the foot end... ?? Air lifts... ?

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

I don't believe there is a secure method for this. There is so much force applied to these when under stress (use) that I don't believe a quick-fix would hold.

Posted on 14 years ago

Bummer............

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here