Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Best solvent for old grease?

So... I do some restorations on old Speed Kings, and one of the things I like to be sure of is that the insides of the towers are clean. There's ALWAYS some caked on gunk near the bottom. I can usually get most of it out, but there comes a point where I have to settle, applying the restorer's axiom "perfection is the enemy of the good."

I don't think it means two hoots in performance once it's reassembled, but...

JR tipped me to the fact that the old SK grease was wax based, so heat would help, and it does.

But I'm wondering if I could put a good solvent into the tower and let it soak for a while (bottom screw in, pour in through the top).

What is the best solvent for old gunk like that? Acetone? Gasoline? Mineral spirits? Boiling water?

Posted on 12 years ago

Lacquer thinner will cut it but be aware it will remove the paint from a Speed King. You could try carb cleaner, spray can with a tube like the one that comes with wd-40.

Posted on 12 years ago

Great ideas -- and the paint is already off. Once it's ready to paint, I wipe it down with acetone to make sure it's clean.

The lacquer thinner sounds like a sure thing...the carb cleaner one more thing to experiment with.

Thanks for your help. That crud is REALLY hard to get out, and although I've gotten them clean with heat and a small screwdriver to scrape with, it's pretty time consuming....and frustrating.

Posted on 12 years ago

I can identify just finished a Speed King a little while ago and the lacquer thinner did the trick. Be careful tho the stuff really has allot of fumes to deal with. I put my post assembly in an old tupperware container with lid and let it set for a few hours.

1 attachments
136.1 kB
Posted on 12 years ago

Just put it in and filled the dish with cleaner? Sounds like a mush better plan than mine!

Posted on 12 years ago

old school tsp and hot water safe and friendly for stubborn stuff ol paint thinner

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

tsp?i don't get it...

Posted on 12 years ago

its a painters soap very strong its meant to break down oil paint the old stuff not the new

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

One of these parts washers may be the ticket as you do seem to like to restore those old stompers!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381752_200381752

toodles

drumhack Jumping2:)Mister TMind BlowiCool Dude

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 12 years ago

I'm hoping not to go down that path again. First it's a parts washer, then a blasting cabinet, then of course you need a bigger air compressor.....

Hmmmm

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here