Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Best polish for nickel plating?

Hello fellow drum fans. I'm the new guy in town, but I've been playing for many years. I just started getting serious about collecting and restoring vintage drums.

Quick questions for you. What is your favorite polish or other resto technique for cleaning up nickel plated items?

I recently purchased a 1920's - 1930's Ludwig snare which was in excellent shape to begin with. I used Mothers metal polish on the rims, shell and hardware and it did a pretty good job of restoring the shine. There are still a few spots on the drum which are less than pristine looking. I obviously don't want to do anything to harm the finish and will in fact "leave it be" if it's too risky.

Also, do you use anything after the cleanup to coat the parts and keep them from getting nasty again? Waxes or other products?

Thanks - BD

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 19 years ago

Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of options for you and there is a variety of ways to clean chrome and nickel. Everyone has a method and if it works then go for it.

I use Flitz on my chrome and nickel. This is a hand polishing technique that works really well on both and they shine very nice. Nickel can be stained and is harder to clean then chrome and might take two applications. I always suggest doing it by hand first and if none of that works you can resort to a buffing wheel. That takes experience and can do more damage then good if not done correctly.

Here are a few other products that many restorers use for cleaning nickel and chrome.

Cape Cod cloths, Simichrome, Automotive Chrome cleaning prducts etc...

Other methods work as well and you would need to experiment which method you want to use. Here is a red sparkle snare that I used the Flitz on. This is nickel hardware. What a nice Radio King no longer in my collection!

[img]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/my_collection/slingerland_red_sparkle_large.jpg[/img]

I also have an article that covers a lot of topics about restoration on the main web site here.

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/how_to_vintage_snare.html

I have to update the article with new products etc..

Hope that helps a little

David

Posted on 19 years ago

DOH!!! How did I miss that link? Thanks for the info and of course, the link. I'll do some reading tonight.

I'm familiar with Simichrome (used it on many motorcycles over the years) but it's been a while since I saw it anywhere. Guess I'll look harder or online.

Also saw some other info on Flitz - Seems like a great product.

Have you (or anyone) ever tried Nevr-Dull (sp?) - I had a can of it many years back and recently saw it at an auto parts store). It's a roll of soft cotton wadding and it's embedded with some sort of cleaner/polish. You just tear off a hunk and start rubbing. Then buff with a clean cloth.

I think a trip to Pep Boys is in order - Thanks again for the info.

Posted on 19 years ago

Yes, I have heard of people using Nevr Dull (Sp?) with some good results, but I have never tried it before.

Yep, many people that enter the forum may not realize the web site that is behind it. The site is growing and I'm constantly looking for pictures of snares and good vintage stories.

David

Posted on 19 years ago

Well, I don't have any good stories yet, but I'd be more than happy to send you pictures of my snare, if you're interested?

I found a description of the same snare at the National Music Museum. Here it is:

NMM 3005.* Snare drum by Ludwig & Ludwig, Elkhart, ca. 1930.* Stamped on batter head rim: Ludwig. Junior Snare Drum model No. 4395. One-piece metal shell with center bead, 91mm (3-1/2") x 334mm (13-1/4"). Single tension. Six thumb-rod screw lugs. Flat metal rims (hoops). Throw-off strainer.

The 13-1/4" might be wrong as mine is clearly 13" even (standard 13" head fits nicely). Other than that, it's identical to the above description. I even have a canvas bag stamped Leedy & Ludwig on the inside which came with, and fits the drum perfectly. Has the original owners name sewn on the outside of the bag.

The snare throw off is the same as the one pictured on your hardware page (1920 Universal Model Ludwig Strainer), minus the Patented stamp. Mine is blank.

Please let me know if pictures are in order.

Posted on 19 years ago
Action Another action Something else here