Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Best over the counter wrap cleaner?

After getting a real cool set of vintage Pearl drums, ("President" , i believe), i was just wondering what you any of you fellow restoration guys who have restored drums, use to clean and polish the wrap ?

I would usually use household cleaners made for kitchen countertops and bathroom fixtures, but i was just wondering if there was anything over the counter that i can purchase from a hardware store or Pharmacy, that would make the wrap shine or look pro polished ? Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Cheers !

Posted on 9 years ago

Hey Human71,

I don't know if Dollarama have the same distributers in Montreal, but I've been finding Armor-All Ultra Shine at 3.99 a bottle in Quebec City. I've read about people using 3M lense cleaning products as well.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 9 years ago

Funky-- Yeah, we pretty much have the same dollarama as you guys, and i have seen armor all there in their "hardware" section..

Good choice !..

Cheers ..!

Posted on 9 years ago

The last kit I used mild soapy water w/ Dawn, Mr Clean Magic Erasers & the Novus polishes, oops i guess that's not over the counter! For chrome I usually use Nevr-dull, Canadian Tire has it

Posted on 9 years ago

I start with warm water and a micro fibre towel. If that yields a tar and tobaco smell, Windex widow cleaner wipe down. Then hot water Dawn clean. If all good just wax and buff a few times with whatever available.

Before using Novus type products you want all of the dirt layers off or they will grind in and dull the finish. Only clean worn out 100% cotton T-shirts or micro fibre towels for the entire process. Anything else will scratch the outer layer. Use a new towel often and all should be well.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for all the input gentlemen.. Turns out "All Purpose" Hertel did a great job.. My 12" tom is actually showing reflection!..There wasn't much grime or dirt on it either, as the owner kept them in storage for the past 2 and half decades..Just built up dust and a little bit of grime build up, and it all wiped away clean..

FYI-- While removing stickers with the original owner's name on the toms and bass drum, i discovered that WD-40 removes sticker adhesive quite nicely and rapidly..Anyone else know this ? ;)

Posted on 9 years ago

I'm a firm believer in Novus. Wipe down the drum with a soft moist cloth (water only) then clean with Novus 1. You can buy a 3-pack of Novus 1,2 and 3 for less than 20 bucks shipped on eBay. Can't argue with results like these.

1 attachments
125.8 kB
Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 9 years ago

I agree with Novus. Never use # 3. I always use #2 and then #1.

I have also had good results with Plasticx. It's made by Megiuars and is ready available at your local Auto Parts Store.

I think Plasticx works just as good, and it's a little easier to use and is more readily available than Novus.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here