Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Best Method for Sanding a Drum Shell?

After puttying the outside of a wooden shell, what is the best way to sand it?

Someone suggested I use my 4" stationary belt sander…I thought it was a bad idea since if you tilt to the right or left you'd leave a big scar. But as slow as sanding by hand was going I had to try it, and guess what…left a big scar and had to redo the putty.

I've seen specialty knifemaking belt sanders which allow the belt to curve around the object naturally (like this one: http://barkriverknives.com/albums2/JD2007/100_2895.jpg). That would seem to be best, but I'm currently nowhere near building or buying one of those suckers.

I have a vibrating electric sander from Harbor Freight but again am leery of flattening out the curve in places. Maybe if I keep it moving it's fine, not sure.

Sounds like an obvious question for many of you, so would love to hear from your experiences.

Keep on Pl

Posted on 11 years ago

Great question! I was thinking of asking this too.

Posted on 11 years ago

Use a block bigger than the paper (or wider than the width you want to sand) and on either side of the 'working' paper, place pieces of the same paper upside down. These will act as a nice guide so you sand flush to the undamaged areas, but not deeper. You CAN go deeper if you are not careful, but this is a nice guide and avoids the power tool 'scarring'.

Still takes time and practice, but it gives good results. Always do sensitive sanding by hand. Try another putty if the one you use is difficult to sand.

You can also use large sanding belts, but cut it into a long strip, lay the shell across your knees and drag the paper back and forth across the shell. Note this is better when the entire shell needs to be sanded...

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

Put that belt sander away it does not belong on a drum ever! Restoring drums is an art, if you dont have the patience to sand by hand then at least get a good random orbital sander. If your trying to fill in holes or voids or screw ups from using a belt sander then just fill in the damaged area with a good filler and use a 3M block sander that holds the paper. Yo can start out with 120 and work your way up to 220 or so depending on what your doing. Belt sander is only good for removing lots of material very fast, basicaly a grinder. It is not a finish sander in any way. Be patient!

Sorry I yelled at you,lol I just hate those things.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

It's O.K., yelling is appropriate at times. Putty was DAP PlasticWood. This was for my 'disaster' kit shells which have very large portions of ply already missing. Turned out the belt sander did indeed remove material quickly!

Thanks for the idea of the long belt strips--that might be helpful for this project. I'll get my sanding block and put it to work...

Posted on 11 years ago

I agree with jeff,..put the belt sander away, it takes off too much material too quickly for a finnished drum.

Rig something and spin the drum, then use a sponge to wrap your paper around.

Holding the drum into moveing sandpaper is bad practice !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

Oh,..spin the drum horizontally for exterior, and virtical for inside !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

I re-did my WFL's with this:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-in-random-orbit-sander/p-00911218000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

It's the greatest $50 I've ever spent.

-Beau

1969 Ludwig Big Beat Mod Orange 12/13/16/22
1976 Ludwig Green Vistalite 12/13/16/22 & 5 1/2x14
1940 Ludwig & Ludwig Universal Concert Snare 6.5x14
2013 C&C Aged WMP 13/16/22

beaubruns.tumblr.com
cowboyindianbear.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Went to a woodworking show once where one of the clinics referred to a Belt Sander as a Project Wrecker. Not for finish type work at all.

Hand sanding with strips, wider the better, helps not put slopes in the edges as well. Ask me how I know about edges being sloped...

Posted on 11 years ago

From amosguy

Went to a woodworking show once where one of the clinics referred to a Belt Sander as a Project Wrecker. Not for finish type work at all.Hand sanding with strips, wider the better, helps not put slopes in the edges as well. Ask me how I know about edges being sloped...

George, how did you get sloped edges? Just kidding.

My parts from Bennett drums are on the way, thanks again!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here